Digging pines in fall?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hello!
So I have an opportunity to scope a co workers land today and see about digging up pines. Not sure species.
He said there are lots of “smaller” trees he would stand to lose.

From what I’ve read, collecting now is not ideal. But am able to replant at home straight away.
Any advice?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
If you can, scope today, dig in the spring. You’re going to have a tough time getting a newly-dug pine through your winter. What kind of pine is it, scots?
Sounds like good advice.
Any benefits from pre trenching around tree for added feeder roots, or just wait till spring?
Oh and I guess I have no idea as to what I’ll see today. He just said he had loads of little pines all around his farm so we will see!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Try some less desirable specimens first maybe, just to get the hang of it.
My fall collections have been succesful for scots pines. Still I think spring is better. It sucks to wait+care all winter to find out your tree is dead come spring.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Yeah your totally right. just an excited newb.
Not sure what I will see today, but maybe
A practice tree will present itself!
Thanks!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The larger the dirtball, the better. If you can take pots with you rather than ~bags~ or other temporary transport it is even better.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello!
So I have an opportunity to scope a co workers land today and see about digging up pines. Not sure species.
He said there are lots of “smaller” trees he would stand to lose.

From what I’ve read, collecting now is not ideal. But am able to replant at home straight away.
Any advice?
Being in zone 4 is way ,way different than higher zones.
I know.
I live it too.
Spring will always be the best time for you to collect any tree.
Fall collection/transplanting doesnt work out so well.
It's the climate.
You will also notice that trees only stop growing in fall.
No summer dormancy that the higher zones experience.
Also,and I don't want to be a downer here but collecting pines can be a crapshoot.
It takes practice and loads of patience.
That tree should sit for 2 years after collection if it survives before you touch it again.
I suggest trying nursery stock at first.
They're used to being constrained by the pot already and usually have ample roots to work with.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Being in zone 4 is way ,way different than higher zones.
I know.
I live it too.
Spring will always be the best time for you to collect any tree.
Fall collection/transplanting doesnt work out so well.
It's the climate.
You will also notice that trees only stop growing in fall.
No summer dormancy that the higher zones experience.
Also,and I don't want to be a downer here but collecting pines can be a crapshoot.
That tree should sit for 2 years after collection if it survives before you touch it again.
I suggest trying nursery stock at first.
They're used to being constrained by the pot already and usually have ample roots to work with.
Thanks for sharing your wisdom Mike!
Yeah I killed 2 mugo pines (even after studying Vance’s tutorials) and almost a white pine -which I believed has stabled out and doing ok- but I will be waiting for springtime to be doing any digs.
Thanks again!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If you can wait until spring, by all means do that. If you can, it might "add to the data base" to dig one of the lesser ones now and see how it reacts. Aftercare seems to be the important thing for any "suspect" operations in bonsai. If you collect one now and it dies, well, you know that might not be a wise thing to do. But if it LIVES, you have one more possiblility in your reportoire of tecniques. Now, your zone is MUCH different than mine, so you'll have to take that into consideration.

This year I collected a 2 and 1/2" privet on June 16 as an experiment. That's at least 4 months past normal collection date for us here. Not many roots. It took a month and a half to sprout, but it's got some 3" shoots and is doing well. One more possiblility in my tool kit.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
If you can wait until spring, by all means do that. If you can, it might "add to the data base" to dig one of the lesser ones now and see how it reacts. Aftercare seems to be the important thing for any "suspect" operations in bonsai. If you collect one now and it dies, well, you know that might not be a wise thing to do. But if it LIVES, you have one more possiblility in your reportoire of tecniques. Now, your zone is MUCH different than mine, so you'll have to take that into consideration.

This year I collected a 2 and 1/2" privet on June 16 as an experiment. That's at least 4 months past normal collection date for us here. Not many roots. It took a month and a half to sprout, but it's got some 3" shoots and is doing well. One more possiblility in my tool kit.
Hmmm.... yeah I guess like you have stated, -along with others- it’s best to find a lesser developed practice tree to test out the possibilities/reaction to a process.
Thanks for the further inspiration!

Just Rosie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
And how long would you give the tree to tell if it’s survived, or going to? In my newbness, I over-eagerly ripped a few trees (mostly baby pines) out of the ground and potted them this winter. Any resources or recommendations for caring for these guys to see if they survive? I’m already aware the chances are pretty low, but I have hope for one pine and wanted to see if there was a timeframe in which I could expect to see him die or “live”. Sorry to hijack the thread, I just have to ask when I see an opportunity!

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And how long would you give the tree to tell if it’s survived, or going to? In my newbness, I over-eagerly ripped a few trees (mostly baby pines) out of the ground and potted them this winter. Any resources or recommendations for caring for these guys to see if they survive? I’m already aware the chances are pretty low, but I have hope for one pine and wanted to see if there was a timeframe in which I could expect to see him die or “live”. Sorry to hijack the thread, I just have to ask when I see an opportunity!
Two years, as @M. Frary Said.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Get out and dig a trench around the tree at the drip line. Wait 'til spring.
But honestly, there will be no benefit. No feeders root will grow until the spring. You need to leave the trenches, filled with pumice or other open soil, for at least a year or two to get feeder roots closer to the trunk

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You will know in the spring for sure.
If it is dead it will turn orange quickly.

Top Bottom