Digging up older garden juniper

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am new to the forum. I have been working on Bonsai trees for a few years with no real training. I have quite a few different junipers planted in my yard. I have also been working on them for a few years. I have one that I would like to dig up and pot. It is in a narrow planter, about 10 inches wide. It is fairly large now and I am looking for advice as to what steps to take to maintain its health. I have used garden stock and cut them back severely in the past with very good luck. I believe this particular juniper is a Prostrate San Jose Juniper. (sorry if I spelled that wrong). It has a trunk size of about 6 inches in circumference and is about three feet long (it is (or will be) a cascade style. Any tips on transplanting would be appreciated.
Tona :)

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Since it already is in a "pot" (planter) you shouldn't have much trouble transplanting. It is whan the trees are in he ground and roots spread out several times the diameter of the canopy that you have the most problems.

Treat it much as you would a repot of an existing bonsai. If you have to remove a lot of root to get it into its next (NOT final!) pot, hold off on top work until later in the year. I don't know where you live, so can't advise as to whan the best time to repot for your area might be.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
With a six inch trunk and a 10" planter you will probably have quite the time finding a pot for the root mass on this, have some building materials ready when you dig it out, so you can make a grow box for it. I am thinking you will have a big block of roots fused together in the planter, could be they take up a good portion of the whole planter.

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate them. I love the structure of this juniper and don't want to harm it. I live in the Southern California area.
I went outside and looked again at (uncovered) the trunk and it is not quite as large as I originally thought (about 3 1/2 inched across (diameter)). The tree itself is fairly large though. Although I have been doing (untrained or home made) bonsai for a while, I usually use nursery stock and never have dug up any of my garden plants. I will use a larger pot for the initial transplant. How long do you think it should remain in the larger pot before further reducing the roots and re-potting again?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate them. I love the structure of this juniper and don't want to harm it. I live in the Southern California area.
I went outside and looked again at (uncovered) the trunk and it is not quite as large as I originally thought (about 3 1/2 inched across (diameter)). The tree itself is fairly large though. Although I have been doing (untrained or home made) bonsai for a while, I usually use nursery stock and never have dug up any of my garden plants. I will use a larger pot for the initial transplant. How long do you think it should remain in the larger pot before further reducing the roots and re-potting again?

At least two growing seasons. Junipers are very hardy for the most part but they are slow to produce new roots when the old ones are disturbed.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I agree with Vance, also to reiterate to have those materials handy when you bring it out, if it's been growing long the root mass can be pretty large. Do you know anyone locally that does bonsai, or in a club?? It can help to have an experianced guide to wild bonsai harvesting.

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Digging up Juniper

I think I will look in to joining a local club. I just retired and have the time. I may just wait until then so I can get some local advice. Thanks all for the input
Tona

Top Bottom