[Dingus] All my pots...in no particular order

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thread is spurred by a comment from @sorce

I must admit...I've bought a lot of pots since the start of covid so, why not have a thread for them all :D

First, an introduction:

Much of my stuff lives in grow bags. I put most of the "house" stuff into pots...but I used to just buy cheap plastic big-box-store type pots. Occasionally, I'd buy "cheap" big-box-store type ceramic pots when I needed something heavier. My kids have all pretty much moved on now which has helped our personal economy quite a bit. Recently, I started buying more expensive ceramic pots instead.

Sometimes I buy a pot for a particular plant. I have so many plants, however, that I mostly just buy pots that I like and pick a plant that needs a pot to shove into it :D My thinking is as follows:

1) The pots I'm buying will, baring accidents, outlive any plant I own. Just ask an archeologist ;) If I like the pot...I'll find something to grow in it.
2) I see no reason NOT to use a pot. If it's the wrong plant for the pot...that can be fixed when I have a better plant. If the pot is empty and needs to be stored...may as well store it with a plant in it ;)
3) Perhaps most important: I'm not a "by the rules" guy. I understand there's a formality to most any craft, and that is a good thing! It pushes the craft forward. It provides a framework to compare and contrast techniques and outcomes. That is NOT how I approach my hobbies though. I don't have great trees. I don't care. What I have growing in any particular pot at any given time may not be "appropriate" to some. See above. Agree with the above or not: I don't care.

For this thread, I intend to eventually include most every clay pot I own that is better than commercial grade terra-cotta. Most of them will be "bonsai" pots...but maybe not with bonsai in them! I do own a number of non-bonsai pots that I'll include as well, however.

I do not own a super large number of pots. I do not own any super spectacularly special pots. I'm not trying to compete with anyone on size or quality of my collection. I'm just starting a thread to catalogue what I own. Discuss as you feel appropriate.

For each pot, I will try to provide the following information:
1) A number to reference the pot by
2) The potter why crafted the pot...if known
3) The year the pot was purchased...if remembered
4) A picture of the pot :D

...and enough with the words! Let's see some pots!

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot #1
Potter: Susan Aach
Purchased: 2019

20210520_092350.jpg

Not a bonsai pot :( But one of my very favorites! This pot was purchased specifically for this set of orchids for very personal reasons. I intend to keep these particular orchids in this pot as long as I can keep them alive.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot #2
Purchased: 2019

20210520_092530.jpg

Another Susan Aach pot. It had an orchid in it for a while but the orchid got moved. Since then, it's been housing spare pothos clipping! It was much more full of pothos last week but my daughter took some for her use. This pot is currently very much in the "why leave a pot empty" stage. I haven't found anything else I want to put into it yet.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot #3
Purchased: 2020

20210520_092628.jpg 20210520_092635.jpg

Also not a "bonsai" pot, but I intend to put a bonsai in it! It had an orchid for a few months, but the orchid has moved on. It's only empty now because I have a chinquapin oak that I think is going to go in here maybe this fall.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot #4
Potter: Sahici Atoyle
Purchased: 2021

20210519_112625.jpg 20210519_112628.jpg

This pot came from Turkey. There are a couple of foreign potters on Etsy that have a style that I really like. Sahici is one of them. This pot is SOLID! I appreciate that...not so much for the strength...but for the weight. I worry about some of these smaller pots outside...a heavier base helps!

This pot is empty because the oversees shipping too long enough I missed my potting oppertunity for the tree I wanted to put into it. Maybe in the fall...

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot #5

20210519_112557.jpg 20210519_112602.jpg 20210519_112611.jpg

This was a consolation prize. Since I was ordering overseas, I wanted to get more than one pot. There were two other rectangles that I really wanted, but they sold before I could get the order together :( This one is very nice...I consider myself consoled ;) Currently empty because it came to late to pot what I wanted in it...maybe in the fall.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot #6
Potter: @sorce
Purchased: 2020 (maybe 2019?)

20210506_155910.jpg 20210506_163809.jpg

This was an "extra"...I can't remember which pots it came with though :( I struggled for a while for something to put in it...it's on the very small side of what I'm used to watering! In some post of other @sorce commented he envisioned a juniper. I'm not a juniper fan. I don't own ANY juniper and have little interest in them. BUT...juniperus virginiana crop up like weeds in my landscaping. So, partly as a joke, I shoved this little guy on it :D This picture is old...the soil mound is under moss now and the juniper is actively growing and doing quite well. We'll see how it takes the heat in that tiny pot!

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot #7
Potter: @sorce

20210506_120934.jpg

Another @sorce pot...there will be many :D The tree is a pinus aristata.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot #8
Potter: Justine Stelmach (@ForestInnPottery)

20201105_103255.jpg 20201105_103230.jpg

One of my favorite pairings! This tree lives here forever now :D The long term plan is not very "bonsai" though. The tree is quercus gambelli. The plan is to grow an oak thicket with a single spindly trunk that survived "the fires" leafing out above.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a bad habit of also putting "non pot worthy" trees into nice pots just because I have them and I want to. Why not enjoy them? Sorry to disrupt your thread.

Not a disruption Carol...join in any time!

I don't have a lot of nicer trees yet. We moved about 10 years ago and my number of plants plummeted. I used to be very heavy orchid/house plants...some really nice ones though! I've only started "stocking back up" a few years ago. This "restock" has been heavier trees than houseplants...interests change. I prefer to grow from seed and trees take longer to develop...so my "nice plant" stock is currently pretty low and likely to remain there for a few years yet :(

Doesn't matter...I have multiples of most things I grow now. Since I have multiples, one copy goes into a pot as soon as I have an empty pot for it...I don't like storing pots on a shelf! I learned that lesson with all my plastic pots! They just get forgotten or broken without anyone ever looking at them :( I usually pot my least favorite copy first though...the rest continue to grow out for later consideration.

The one thing I'm noticing though is that I have a fair amount of pots < 6" wide...and a few > 14" wide...but almost nothing in between :( Either no one is making 8"-12" pots that I like, or they're in a price range I'm currently ignoring, or I'm unconsciously picking smaller pots because I still have mostly smaller trees?? It's something I might need to pay attention to over the next few years...

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have a bad habit of also putting "non pot worthy" trees into nice pots just because I have them and I want to. Why not enjoy them? Sorry to disrupt your thread.
Same here Carol ..lol ...About half of my pots worth more than the trees thats in it ...Thats what happens when you live near Matt Ouwinga.

SevenOaks

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Empty pots represent pot-ential to me (sorry, couldn't help it!) - what will fit in this one? I love ceramic as a material but still using simple unglazed pots mostly. Looking forward to be able to put one or two of my oaklings in nice bonsai pots, but given they're about 5 or 6 months old, that's gonna be a while. :) But really, the joy of growing stuff in a beautiful pot makes me happy.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thats what happens when you live near Matt Ouwinga.
Yes, that could be dangerous and expensive!! I have one little Bunzan pot I got from him.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot #4

View attachment 376097 View attachment 376098

This pot came from Turkey. There are a couple of foreign potters on Etsy that have a style that I really like. Sahici is one of them. This pot is SOLID! I appreciate that...not so much for the strength...but for the weight. I worry about some of these smaller pots outside...a heavier base helps!

This pot is empty because the oversees shipping too long enough I missed my potting oppertunity for the tree I wanted to put into it. Maybe in the fall...
I love this potters work. It inspires me.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now that I see the quality first hand and how well they were packed for shipment, my concerns over international internet purchase are alayed and I'm sure I'll be buying more :)
I would love to have a few of them. Guess I''l take a look again when I have more of my pots ready to sell.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot #10
Potter: Robert Feldman

20210525_193541.jpg 20210525_193646.jpg

This pot arrived broken :( It was kinda the seller's fault but the worked with me and made it right. I was able to glue the pot back together.

Glued.JPG crack.JPG

The rosemary is in it because the rosemary comes inside in the winter. So far, the epoxy is holding but I don't trust putting much pressure on it.

This pottery really does more "succulent" type pots, but I've picked up a handful for tiny tree use because I enjoy the style...well, sometimes! The style is a bit hit/miss with me. Some I really like, others I can't look at twice. This one I really like and was sad it broke :(

Top Bottom