DirkvanDreven 6 year JBP from seed contest

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Most are doing fine, but in growthrate they can't complete with seedlings in warmer climates.
They look fine, very healthy!
Mine are even smaller, as I got into the contest six months later, but I am hopeful in January, summer here, they will be as big as yours!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Dirk. Great to see the ones that lived are doing well! I started quite a few seedlings this year myself and have around 30 doing well and pushing a second flush of needles. They are still quite small though. How did you over winter your seedlings that first year you started them? I’m in zone 7 and thinking I’m going to need to overwinter them well. Any thoughts would be great.

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Dirk. Great to see the ones that lived are doing well! I started quite a few seedlings this year myself and have around 30 doing well and pushing a second flush of needles. They are still quite small though. How did you over winter your seedlings that first year you started them? I’m in zone 7 and thinking I’m going to need to overwinter them well. Any thoughts would be great.
Once, long ago, we used to have winters. Canals froze over we had speedskate events that involved skating trough 11 cities, over 200 km long!
That was once. Since global warming I hardly need to provide protection for my bonsai and seedlings. As a matter of fact, we now experience a heatwave that lasts allready two weeks, with tropical temps.
It's difficult to keep my bonsai wet enough

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Once, long ago, we used to have winters. Canals froze over we had speedskate events that involved skating trough 11 cities, over 200 km long!
That was once. Since global warming I hardly need to provide protection for my bonsai and seedlings. As a matter of fact, we now experience a heatwave that lasts allready two weeks, with tropical temps.
Indeed, no more winters here... now they do canal swimming :)

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Last year I bought one of those plastic greenhouses to shelter my most delicate trees during the winter. The plan was to put it up when it started freezing. It's still in the box...

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Quick update. Pines aren't doiing well.
I repotted two in a small bonsai pot. The buds were about 4 cm long, little under two inches. Then we had -15 degrees (celsius). Buds didn't grow anymore. Late June I pruned th buds as if I was candle cutting. On one of these two there are new buds growing. The other is turning yellow. Don't know if that is a good thing.
Foto 10-07-2021 17 09 11.jpg
Foto 10-07-2021 17 09 28.jpg
Foto 10-07-2021 17 09 19.jpg

Of course it can always be worse.
Foto 10-07-2021 16 22 47.jpg
This year so many young pines died, not only the 3 years old seedlings, also older seedlings and young pines.

Some are okay(ish)
Foto 10-07-2021 16 23 00.jpg
Foto 10-07-2021 16 22 24.jpg
Foto 10-07-2021 16 23 01.jpg
Foto 10-07-2021 16 36 46.jpg

It is not very spectacular. I had better luck with seedlings in the past!

Attachments

• Foto 10-07-2021 16 35 13.jpg
    Foto 10-07-2021 16 35 13.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 29

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Quick update.
Repotted some baby-pines. European black pine, Pinus Nigra, Pinus Uncinata and Pinus Thunbergii. All that are regarded as 'black pines'. Most are from a batch of seedlings from 2017. Of the 2018 batch of JBP I have only three left that I know for sure are from the 2018 batch.

IMG_6708.jpg

Nice buds low on the trunk. The pot it's in is 10 cm. 4 inches, long.

IMG_6713.jpg
This one has a nice curves liw on the trunk. I hope the base of the trunk will grow bigger.

IMG_6710.jpg
The tree on the right is from the 2017 batch. Almost surecof that. The tree on the left has a nice twisted trunk.

Chances are slim that any of these trees wil be considered finished bonsai in two years time.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Quick update.
Repotted some baby-pines. European black pine, Pinus Nigra, Pinus Uncinata and Pinus Thunbergii. All that are regarded as 'black pines'. Most are from a batch of seedlings from 2017. Of the 2018 batch of JBP I have only three left that I know for sure are from the 2018 batch.

View attachment 430825

Nice buds low on the trunk. The pot it's in is 10 cm. 4 inches, long.

View attachment 430832
This one has a nice curves liw on the trunk. I hope the base of the trunk will grow bigger.

View attachment 430833
The tree on the right is from the 2017 batch. Almost surecof that. The tree on the left has a nice twisted trunk.

Chances are slim that any of these trees wil be considered finished bonsai in two years time.
Looking just fine, Lower movement and lower branching, fine attributes for JBP of this age. Finished products are more likely in a 25 to 30 year contest!

Top Bottom