Discoloration in Shimpaku foliage - help!

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another juniper problem. Please take a look. This is off a pretty significant tree of mine.

Attachments

• shimpaku.JPG
    shimpaku.JPG
    333.4 KB · Views: 118

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks, that makes me feel better. This is one that with a little work it is ready to be a real nice one. After I feel like it is really healthy I will post some progression pics.
I have had it for a few weeks. I don't know much about it before I got it but it is now in a spot where it gets full sun for 7+ hours.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for asking! It seems to be doing real well. No more yellowing and the rest of the foliage is greening up. Although we have had a ton of rain it is in full sun and I gave it some fertilizer and it is looking much healthier. In various other places I have seen others post of having to clean up yellowed foliage on shimpakus.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will try to post some pics of the entire tree over the weekend. I have to set up a backdrop in my shop so I can take some decent pictures first though. At some point over the next few weeks I am going to do some work on it. It is an older (20+ years?) semi - cascade shimpaku that I bought from a local bonsai nursery who had it on consignment. The structure is pretty good but I will have to bring out a live vein and do a little wiring.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@coachspinks That's really good news!
I would like to see the photos when you post them.

I am having the same problem currently.
It looks minor at the moment but I am concerned because during the last 15 days I have seen some pests (2 or three of them) like scale or like adelgid... something white and fluffy which looked like it is the cover of an insect.
I gave the tree a treatment spray and since then I noticed only one more pest which I smashed by hand.
BUT today on checking under some raffia wrapped around a split branch where ants were crawling I discovered a few wooly aphids and some of the above mentioned scale/adelgid.

I began pulling the think bark and to my unpleasant surprise I found more of them nasty creatures!
I am going to pull and remove all the thin (epidermal) bark and then I will give the Juniper a chemical treatment.
My concern is if removing the bark now (high temperature) is possibly putting the tree in any risk...

Mr @Brian Van Fleet what is your opinion, Sir?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What you are seeing is different than what I was seeing on mine. I did the white paper thing for aphids and found none. There was also nothing visible on the tree to indicate any sort of infestation of another type of pest. A little, probably less than 5% of the foliage, was a paler green. The whole tree just wasn't as vibrant as my other shimpakus. They are all a deep, deep dense green. This one is progressing in that direction now though.
It sounds like you do have a pest and are on the way towards treating it. I will let someone more knowledgable comment on what you are doing and how to proceed.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for your attention anyway!

I tested with the white paper also. For mites. Nothing found, too.
Those aphids were hidden only into the split and under the thin bark.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@coachspinks
I am having the same problem currently.

Mr @Brian Van Fleet what is your opinion, Sir?

Thanks for reading.
My opinion is the same now as it was 2 weeks ago, old foliage falling off. It happens and it is normal. My Shimpaku junipers are shedding like German Shepherds now, but it’s the old, interior growth. That is normal. Looks healthy, right?
D7760314-AC20-4104-A043-5E5AD87D6DA4.jpeg
And underneath, look at the 2-3 year old growth turning yellow and dropping off:
2D28493D-4287-476E-959B-8860F3039865.jpegF7917028-EAE1-435E-8895-475F6953C7FF.jpeg6E7A60A5-E2A7-4E48-99D8-4152F56D2772.jpegCE811879-F62F-41EC-9D9A-71C35B2B8BDB.jpeg

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
At first I would like to thank you @coachspinks for your "hospitality" and letting me post my questions in your own thread.
My opinion is the same now as it was 2 weeks ago, old foliage falling off... ...
Fine!
It's good to have your reassurance.
Foliage of my juniper is similar to yours.

However, May I remind my other question if you don't mind, i.e. Can I safely remove/detach the thin outer layer of bark now in summer?

The bark is a hiding place for those aphids or any other and I would like to uncover and get rid of them.

However, I do not know if the tree is ready to have its bark removed... Perhaps it can be damaged in trying to remove it?

Thanks everybody!

Last edited:

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
At first I would like to thank you @coachspinks for your "hospitality" and letting me post my questions in your own thread.
Fine!
It's good to have your reassurance.
Foliage of my juniper is similar to yours.

May I remind my other question if you don't mind, i.e. Can I safely remove/detach the thin outer layer of bark now in summer?
The bark is a hiding place for those aphids or any other and I would like to uncover and get rid of them.
However, I do not know if the tree is ready to have its bark removed... Perhaps it can be damaged in trying to remove it?

Thanks everybody!
This is how we learn. You may want to take a picture of the pest/bark and post it here.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
However, May I remind my other question if you don't mind, i.e. Can I safely remove/detach the thin outer layer of bark now in summer?

Thanks everybody!
Yes you can. I will be removing the shaggy bark on my avatar Shimpaku this weekend.

Top Bottom