Discolored Leaves

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Something is wrong with my maples. It started overnight. I got these about a month ago and, being new to bonsai and thinking I knew what I was doing when I didn't, I repotted them in Tinyroots Bonsai soil.. We've been watering them when almost dry. Other than that, I don't know what we might have done to hurt them. We sprinkled some slow release food on the surface. Could someone please tell me what's going on with them and what I should do?

Attachments

• Maple 1.jpg
    Maple 1.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 23
  • Maple 2.jpg
    Maple 2.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Maple 3.jpg
    Maple 3.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Maple 4.jpg
    Maple 4.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 24

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
They look pretty normal for Japanese maples in late summer. The brown marks look like sunburn or lack of water. Have you had a few hotter days? Forgot to water one day? Are they getting more sun as the sun dips toward winter? JM are really hard to keep leaves looking perfect all through summer. You will find hundreds of threads here on B'nut with similar pictures and stories of woe with JM
mare sure yours are getting adequate water and protection from hot mid day and afternoon sun. Badly damaged leaves will often drop or can be leaf pruned but leaves with green are still feeding your tree despite a bit of brown so are probably best left even though unsightly. They will all drop soon for winter anyway.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sometimes the best solution is to do nothing at all... when you really want to mess with your trees :) I don't see anything horrifically bad with your tree other than it was repotted off-season and is throwing some fresh off-season growth that may be struggling with environmental conditions.

Can you show us where you keep it outdoors? Right now in California, it is pretty important to provide shelter during the heat of the day or when there is wind - particularly if your tree has young growth that hasn't hardened yet. If you water the foliage, do it in the morning, and try not to water at night and leave the foliage damp overnight. Otherwise, when you repot, be careful about fertilizing right away if the tree has not recovered yet. It is hard on new roots, and will give you longer internodes on new growth. Wait for the tree to push new growth and stop. Then fertilize.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sorry but I'm disabled and can't get out to take a picture right now. I'll describe it though. We have five trees so far, and they all fit on our balcony rail. They get direct sunlight for maybe a couple of hours a day, the rest indirect. It[s the best arrangement we can make with limited space. I can post a picture later today if it would help.

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
We have been hit with oven heat these past few weeks man. All of my maples have gotten a bit crispy even in shade most of the day so it looks to be normal.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They look pretty good seeing your in Cali paired with an ill-timed re-pot. Dry winds will desiccate leafs pretty quick. Moist soil or not! :)

Top Bottom