Discord?

vonklutch

Seedling
Reaction score
Has anyone talked about getting a discord server for Bonsai Nut? Its free, and a great resource for any community.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Pass. Everything doesnt need to be new and social media-y.

I dont think the contemplative nature of viewing and discussing bonsai would transfer well to a fast moving chat. Pics would get lost quickly.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is the same than the other thread suggesting to establish paid accounts so they wouldn't see ads. New people come here and their first post is, hey, let's change what you've been doing just for changes sake 🙄

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Didn't we used to have a chat? Years ago... I don't think it was used often.

I dont remember honestly. Maybe an irc channel? That was one of the earliest forms of text chat rooms that I can recall anyway.
Discord (in case you dont know) is a voice server that people use to talk. You can post photos and different things in it.
And yes it would be a pain in the ass to organize and find anything. Way more difficult than these forums.
I dont see how it would be very useful or better than these forums given the wide range of time zones we are all in.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a bonsai discord. Been on it. Did not like the medium for it. Left.

I do not think bnut needs a discord.
As said, if you want to discus bonsai on discord: There is a server for it already

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I dont remember honestly. Maybe an irc channel? That was one of the earliest forms of text chat rooms that I can recall anyway.
Discord (in case you dont know) is a voice server that people use to talk. You can post photos and different things in it.
And yes it would be a pain in the ass to organize and find anything. Way more difficult than these forums.
I dont see how it would be very useful or better than these forums given the wide range of time zones we are all in.

Oh, no it was a chat where we text our comments. So not like that. It rarely was used. I can't see myself using something like that. I don't watch television at the appointed times for shows either. We DVR everything...I hate having to have technology dictate my time. I'm not a huge fan of television...I would much rather sit outside or read a book.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Technically....humans program the TV show times and technology is freeing you from it.

But yes....a book!

Sorce
I actually don't watch as much TV as most. I can't stand it. It can go days before I watch anything. I don't have patience for commercials. So DVR helps to avoid them. So I reckon you are right in that aspect of technology. But I can go two weeks without watching TV. Easily...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I actually don't watch as much TV as most. I can't stand it. It can go days before I watch anything. I don't have patience for commercials. So DVR helps to avoid them. So I reckon you are right in that aspect of technology. But I can go two weeks without watching TV. Easily...
I find Netflix has made TV easier

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I spent my entire college life in IRC chatrooms. You'll have to drag my dead corpse to a computer chair and physically move my limp appendages for me to get me to type anything into an online chat room again, especially in this age of insufferable personalities and limited intellects.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I wonder the the average age of bnut users is? I have looked into a few clubs and it looked to be mostly old fogeys.

Not that I'm against that or anything, but consider that even in college, the only people who know what discord is are the engineering students who are into computers and/or play a lot of video games.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wonder the the average age of bnut users is? I have looked into a few clubs and it looked to be mostly old fogeys.

Not that I'm against that or anything, but consider that even in college, the only people who know what discord is are the engineering students who are into computers and/or play a lot of video games.

It is used a lot for PC video gaming for active coms in group content.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well... I think we can all agree that suggestion went well!

For the record, I liked the idea. But suggesting it here wasn't going to work.. as evident from the above, the culture here is ... more of a mature wine, shall we say, so a Discord, with it being fairly "high tech" and social media like, probably not a good combination.

In theory, for the most part we are all locked down and mostly restrained to homes, we have a load of people who have been chatting on this forum for years and years.. giving people the ability to be able to talk, come and go as they please, catch up with people, discuss Bonsai, post pics as they talk.. is it really so terrible?
Different channels for privacy + newbies, oldies. Can join a new channel for a bit if you want to answer some questions, leave when done.

Anyways, wrong culture I think, unfortunately. But I stand by, its a good idea! The fact the original poster was completely new shouldn't have detracted from the post...

Top Bottom