Discord?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Discord is used a lot for gamers but can be used for other subjects. Peter Warren has a Discord chat room in addition to his YouTube channel but I think it is limited to his donors. BTW his recent videos produced since the COVID lockdown have been great resources on larch, yew, and a number of other subjects with the list growing. Unfortunately he comes across as a bit disorganized and he runs on for over an hour so you get your moneys worth!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Discord is used a lot for gamers but can be used for other subjects. Peter Warren has a Discord chat room in addition to his YouTube channel but I think it is limited to his donors. BTW his recent videos produced since the COVID lockdown have been great resources on larch, yew, and a number of other subjects with the list growing. Unfortunately he comes across as a bit disorganized and he runs on for over an hour so you get your moneys worth!
Man...I've tried to watch a couple of his videos but just can't get through them. Too unorganized, rambling...it's funny because he's done a good job when he's been on Mirai videos. Maybe they'll get better as he does more of them.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't be able to stay a nice person if we'd be doing chats. My fingers get itchy when politics are discussed here and it's hard not to get mixed in. In chats, things go faster and sarcasm and my poor sense of humor would be lost immediately in the stream of texts.
I've set up zoom for my parents, with a good guide any old fart could join a discord server and have a chat.

But.. Old farts gonna old fart. They're going to know better. And the rookies gonna rookie, they're going to know better.
Would be fun to watch! But I think it's a recipe for a shit tornado and people will keep that grudge on the forum.

I miss call of duty 2.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I honestly wouldn't be able to stay a nice person if we'd be doing chats. My fingers get itchy when politics are discussed here and it's hard not to get mixed in. In chats, things go faster and sarcasm and my poor sense of humor would be lost immediately in the stream of texts.
I've set up zoom for my parents, with a good guide any old fart could join a discord server and have a chat.

But.. Old farts gonna old fart. They're going to know better. And the rookies gonna rookie, they're going to know better.
Would be fun to watch! But I think it's a recipe for a shit tornado and people will keep that grudge on the forum.

I miss call of duty 2.
Peter has acknowledged that this can be an issue with chats and he has said that he will police it and if it goes south he will shut it down. So I may log in once or twice to see if it is useful and well behaved. As for here I have source and the other usual suspects on an ignore list and it keeps me from getting involved in their tit for tat BS.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Peter has acknowledged that this can be an issue with chats and he has said that he will police it and if it goes south he will shut it down. So I may log in once or twice to see if it is useful and well behaved. As for here I have source and the other usual suspects on an ignore list and it keeps me from getting involved in their tit for tat BS.

I'll just stick with the videos from Peter.
Because I'm sure I'll bite at something, poor some oil on the fire or whatever, so I just avoid chats.
I don't want people to shut down stuff simply because I can't keep my cool. I do this for you guys ;-)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Actually, I am an "old Fogy", old enough to remember bits and pieces of COBAL and FORTRAN programing languages. When 16 bit programing was considered advanced, high speed programing.

I am not against trying something new, I honestly had never heard the term "discord server" before. Now I understand it can be used for voice chat, or typed chat. That is actually a cool function.

But I also see, given the personalities around here, including my own, why it has the potential to be a disaster. I do have the phone numbers of more than a dozen members on this forum, and when isolation gets to be too much, I will reach out. I have met a number of you in person. So I do get a sense of "In Real Life" community even though this is a typed word forum.

If enough want to try a discord server, I'd be happy to try it. I might even check out Peter Warren's . But I do think the consensus is that it will not be a good fit for BNut. But I'll try it if it comes here.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually, I am an "old Fogy", old enough to remember bits and pieces of COBAL and FORTRAN programing languages. When 16 bit programing was considered advanced, high speed programing.

Hey now...who you calling an old fogy? I still program in fortran (but have never used cobol). Modern fortran has a lot more bells and whistles than the versions you used!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey now...who you calling an old fogy? I still program in fortran (but have never used cobol). Modern fortran has a lot more bells and whistles than the versions you used!
Is that the same as punching IBM cards for data entry?:eek: How else does one correlate data for a thesis? Do I need to upgrade? I thought discord was when someone mentions colanders to Adair?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that the same as punching IBM cards for data entry?:eek: How else does one correlate data for a thesis? Do I need to upgrade? I thought discord was when someone mentions colanders to Adair?
Punching IBM cards was before my time :)

Though I do remember there being huge piles of punch cards sitting around the computer room when I started grad school. At that time we still had to submit our large programs to run on the mainframe computer overnight and pick up the output in the morning. Of course, if the program crashed you lost a whole day. Plotting was done the same way, they had large pen/ink printers that were slooow and you had to write programs telling the plotter where to make each mark...pen down, pen draw to new spot, pen up, repeat...Times have changed!

For real fun talk about guy wires to Adair, that will get a better response than colanders.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Punching IBM cards was before my time :)

Though I do remember there being huge piles of punch cards sitting around the computer room when I started grad school. At that time we still had to submit our large programs to run on the mainframe computer overnight and pick up the output in the morning. Of course, if the program crashed you lost a whole day. Plotting was done the same way, they had large pen/ink printers that were slooow and you had to write programs telling the plotter where to make each mark...pen down, pen draw to new spot, pen up, repeat...Times have changed!

For real fun talk about guy wires to Adair, that will get a better response than colanders.
Well Colandars have lots of mounting holes for guy wires!
I was never into programming, I was the fellow stuck between the programming team and the end user. Change agent when it was not the norm to make changes. We took the US Army database program MARS and adapted it for a computerized report card system for school systems. 1980-82.
fun times.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Actually, I am an "old Fogy", old enough to remember bits and pieces of COBAL and FORTRAN programing languages.
Its COBOL. I loved programming in that in college. (One class, and it was admittedly archaic even then, but they hadn't updated so I had to have it to graduate.). I took a survey of programming course where we wrote in a different language each week. I got a 100 on a Fortran program that I never compiled. I'm not sure if it would compile or if he was lax.

Not that my vote means much in these parts, but a discord server wouldn't add much.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Isn’t discord for computer gamers?

A lot of gamers PC gamers use it for group coordination in games, yes.
However it can be used for any time people want to talk online.

@ConorDash, before you turn this into an age thing, its not that at all.
I am a few years away from retirement and I use discord 2-3 times a week at least for pre-scheduled groups.

Its about applicability.
I just dont see people sitting in Discord to chat about bonsai all day. I certainly wouldnt because Im doing other things.
Peoples schedules dont match and Im not going to just sit in a discord channel waiting for someone to just happen to get into Discord.
The forum works well because someone can post on thier schedule and others can reply on thiers and everyone can see it.
You dont have to be lucky enough to catch someone in Discord or be lucky enough to be there for the discussion.

The forums work way better for topic categorization. If there is a text channel for "pines". everyone would post all their stuff about pines in there and you would have to scroll through 1000s of posts to follow it. All the conversations would be mixed up, and it would be very difficult to follow. It would be a huge mess.
Someone would have to manage the membership categories for the Discord, who can post where etc. The forums as set up have almost none of that.
With forums, there are larger categories and anyone can post a new topic in the different categories. It keeps it way more organized than a Discord could ever be.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Discord isn't a great asynchronous media. A forum is suitable for conversations as schedules allow ...and provides topics split into separate threads ...and its searchable.

Top Bottom