Diseased oak?

Shaunlew

Seedling
Reaction score
my father is an elementary school principle, and started an outdoor classroom project quite a few years back..so although this isn't necessarily pertaining to bonsai I figured someone could help us out..

Attached are a few pics of some oaks that are clearly infected with some sort of insect. My dad claims they're all red oaks, but if you look at the leaves they are clearly different (lobes and veins in particular). Our question is what insect is tearing these oaks up? Also, the bark in the two oaks are completely different, he seems to think that the insect infestation has mangled up the bark..the trunk/bark pics are of the two oaks (obviously), the infested one has the rough bark while the less infested one has the normal smooth bark.

Any insight as to what is going one would be greatly appreciated and helpful!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 33

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
They both look to be in the white oak group. Bark varies between species; I doubt the insects affected the bark. The leaf seems to have been hit by leaf miners; they'll do no real damage to the tree.

Cotyledon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I don't see any red oak leaves there. The leaves are eaten by oak worm maybe some jap Berle chewing

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In these parts that is what it looks like after a rather large spawn of Japanese beetles. Never have seen any disease do that.

Grimmy

Top Bottom