Display with slabs

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
So, if you have a formal display with the main tree on a slab, what should the accent be on? The rules I have read say that the accent stand should not be more formal than the main tree's stand, and two slabs should not be displayed together. Is there an answer to this that I'm not getting? I'm sure Al will like this... Thanks everyone!

**picture just for reference**

Attachments

• display slab.jpg
    display slab.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 102

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I don't know what the rules say, but I personally think the accent would look better without a slab. Nice tree! What is it ?

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm with DaveV....I don't know the rules but I think no slab

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Everything should be sitting on something other than flat on he table. Maybe a thin wood burl?

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Unfortunately its not my tree in the picture, but it looks like a Larch. So you guys just say no stand for the accent?

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Ah, didn't see yours JKL... That is how I would normally display an accent, but with the main tree already on a wood slab the accent would have to be "less formal" according to the rules I have read.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
I am referencing Gadou Yamamoto Ryu Kyouhon
Pg. 50 Sanyasou is on a rectangle slab and accent piece (boat) is placed on the same slab.
On pg 76 the original student designed a Cedar Bonsai in Chokkan style with a rectangular Jiita and Pagoda figurine with a Tsurunoba accent plant in a wamaru hachi.

Sensei's reconfiguration was to get rid of the lab and pagoda Tenkei and put the bonsai on a Stand.

Do not have copyright permission so can not show the photos...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am referencing Gadou Yamamoto Ryu Kyouhon
Pg. 50 Sanyasou is on a rectangle slab and accent piece (boat) is placed on the same slab.
On pg 76 the original student designed a Cedar Bonsai in Chokkan style with a rectangular Jiita and Pagoda figurine with a Tsurunoba accent plant in a wamaru hachi.

Sensei's reconfiguration was to get rid of the lab and pagoda Tenkei and put the bonsai on a Stand.

Do not have copyright permission so can not show the photos...

You left out "fune" and "shoku"

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah, didn't see yours JKL... That is how I would normally display an accent, but with the main tree already on a wood slab the accent would have to be "less formal" according to the rules I have read.

Rules..is such an ugly word.

I like to think of rules as guidelines. Without starting WWIII there are dozens of books (5 that I have) from Japan that talk about display and not one of them I have agree on any universal idea. Display is what you make of it.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In a traditional display in a formal Tokonoma, usually a literati tree is displayed with scroll only. there is not an accent. The scroll will make up the difference by setting a season, or showing a bird or insect or moon.

In that type of display it is appropriate to display on a slab of burl like the one seen. In that photo a tree is on a slab with a scroll. That is all thats needed. I think the scroll is backwards, but thats just me. I DO NOT like the continuation of the scroll moving in the same direction as the tree.

In the event an accent is going to be used, then the tree is placed on a shallow vase table. Something round with arching legs preferably.

The accent will be placed on a small round shiney solid black disk. This disk represents nothingness. It has no corners and is limitless, neverending. It is black and devoid of light. It is a symbol of the Universe.

Attachments

• DSC_00030001.JPG
    DSC_00030001.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_00040001.JPG
    DSC_00040001.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 22

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are some photos from the Keido School of display from Japan. They represent a tree on a slab and only scroll.

Attachments

• DSC_00080004.JPG
    DSC_00080004.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_00110006.JPG
    DSC_00110006.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_00100005.JPG
    DSC_00100005.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 34

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This would be how a literati tree with an accent might be placed including the small black disk.

Attachments

• DSC_00070003.JPG
    DSC_00070003.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 28

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And from the same book, a display with tree and accent both on slabs with unsusal position of the accent.

GUIDELINES...........

Attachments

• DSC_00050001.JPG
    DSC_00050001.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 32

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Excellent ideas Al and awesome pictures, thanks. I know I should use the word "guideline" more, it just always comes out as RULE. But personally I view any rule, law, or socially acceptable behavior as a guideline anyway...

I'm not big on the black disk thing, it just seems too uniform and uninteresting, and considering my accent (which I will not disclose here) is very basic and natural it may or may not call for something a little more raw like a burl slab. We'll see I guess. Experimentation is needed. I may even have to go with a more formal tree... Thanks again Al, I need to get a few of those books someday.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent ideas Al and awesome pictures, thanks. I know I should use the word "guideline" more, it just always comes out as RULE. But personally I view any rule, law, or socially acceptable behavior as a guideline anyway...

I'm not big on the black disk thing, it just seems too uniform and uninteresting, and considering my accent (which I will not disclose here) is very basic and natural it may or may not call for something a little more raw like a burl slab. We'll see I guess. Experimentation is needed. I may even have to go with a more formal tree... Thanks again Al, I need to get a few of those books someday.

Well.....if you wish to know more about accents and what is good for a very formal display, such as say...oh...a Kazari, I might be coaxed to talk about that a little more so that someone wishing to win a prize might have a good chance.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I am always up for learning more! Display interests me terribly, and I would love to enter the Kazari this year. My scroll is apparently almost done, so at least something is coming together.

Top Bottom