Displaying dead bonsai

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Got couple dead trees with sentimental value so decided not to throw away. I'm having them gaz treated to kill any pests in them then sprayed with sealer to preserve wood. Considering placing in a nice pot and displaying inside home.
Would you have them in normal soil or is it possible to just pour epoxy or maybe cement to stabilize them in pot ?
Any one did anything similar? Any ideas ?
Thanks

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If kept dry should be no problem with bugs at all. Same for substrate; if dry will be no rot so why not use it. Cement, etc in nice pot will mess up using for anything later on if desired;).

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Got couple dead trees with sentimental value so decided not to throw away. I'm having them gaz treated to kill any pests in them then sprayed with sealer to preserve wood. Considering placing in a nice pot and displaying inside home.
Would you have them in normal soil or is it possible to just pour epoxy or maybe cement to stabilize them in pot ?
Any one did anything similar? Any ideas ?
Thanks
I think you could wire them in a pot and just use gravel or rocks to fill it. Something that looks good.

If you want to do cement, you could just pour cement in a form and put the tree in it. No need for a separate pot.
Maybe a project similar to this.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like those have said, it has to be a REALLY good piece of deadwood, otherwise it just looks kinda silly.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
If anyone has a nice looking, but dead formal upright, I would consider buying a few for a project with my kids!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A few years ago. I had a rather large diameter deciduous tree, I’d call it semi-formal, Elm, about 3” (76mm) diameter trunk with quite a few branches dead. About 18“ (457mm) tall. I burned three quarters of it around the curve of the trunk to black and dark brown up. It looked mighty fine. I put it in a sandy soil and covered the soil with moss. Moss crept up part of the tree. It looked very natural like I’d see in an old forest. A old lightning strike. The tree told a story to me….more story than a tree with leaves.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a shito-sized boxwood that died. I removed all the original leaves and then “re-animated” it with clear craft glue and preserved reindeer moss from the craft store. (Call me Dr. Frankstein). It had originally been over potted a bit, so I put it in a pot more appropriate for display, wired it in, etc. I just used regular bonsai soil. I didn’t do anything special to preserve the wood. It’s not going to rot any time soon since it’s being kept dry. Preservation-wise, there’s not really anything different about keeping a dead bonsai in this way vs. keeping a dried flower arrangement in the house.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can dry it out in the oven on low. I cut large branches off a sugar maple and make large perches for my parrots that way. As long as the wood is dry it can’t grow fungus or bacteria. You can then add wax or lacquer etc.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It’s a great idea and can be done to good effect, given the right thought and time.

Here’s an Eastern Cedar that had given up the ghost. I strip sanded, the team lime sulfured…. and the Curator mounted, using its own pot that had accidentally broken during a winter storm. This tree was the opening display for the World War II Bonsai exhibit at Pacific Bonsai Museum last year.

1B257B25-9345-4AD2-9660-8B174ED94D95.jpeg

So go for it!

cheers
DSD sends

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
It’s a great idea and can be done to good effect, given the right thought and time.

Here’s an Eastern Cedar that had given up the ghost. I strip sanded, the team lime sulfured…. and the Curator mounted, using its own pot that had accidentally broken during a winter storm. This tree was the opening display for the World War II Bonsai exhibit at Pacific Bonsai Museum last year.

View attachment 420944

So go for it!

cheers
DSD sends
This is rad as hell. Really liking the broken pot with the spilled akadama!

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

View attachment 420944

So go for it!

cheers
DSD sends
This is an example of when bonsai goes beyond craft and is art. It engages the viewer in communication with the artist through the work.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

View attachment 420944

So go for it!

cheers
DSD sends
That is is a very moving display, wow.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

View attachment 420944

So go for it!

cheers
DSD sends
Fabulous art. A telling story from the overall presentation to the detail of the tree and carried through right down to the shadow cast. This bonsai art has a life story. Mighty fine!

Top Bottom