Displays for 2018

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I still think the darker slab looks better to me for the hornbeam accent.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah, I wish I had a shrink gun to zap that pot with, the reason I'm using it, is the fish and the frog and the marginal plant all encompass the summer idea of this display.

You so have an option here I would like to see if the display is still setup for photo(s). Remove the stand under the accent - I also think it would put more focus in the main display while making things tidier :)

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You so have an option here I would like to see if the display is still setup for photo(s). Remove the stand under the accent - I also think it would put more focus in the main display while making things tidier :)

Grimmy
Not set up right now, but I have contacted the maker of the stand, and will meet with him tomorrow to go over options. I think if I just had a metal jitta under the accent instead of a stand it would be better. Just have to decide how thick and what shape. Probably rectangle is safest, and a little thicker than the shelves would be nice.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not set up right now, but I have contacted the maker of the stand, and will meet with him tomorrow to go over options. I think if I just had a metal jitta under the accent instead of a stand it would be better. Just have to decide how thick and what shape. Probably rectangle is safest, and a little thicker than the shelves would be nice.

I was going to suggest something very simple as you describe, perhaps ask him to cut a piece slightly larger then the legs of the pot irregular like a wood slab. Myself if it were a local show it would also depend on the color of the mat and background. If it is dark I would use none, light something like I just mentioned.

Nice stuff as always :) Just had my gears grinding as I was busy in the house :p

Grimmy

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Sorry I’m being redundant here but home from work now and able to give these the time they are due and I reiterate that these look good to me. In fact the best I’ve seen posted on this site. You have some of my favorite trees here and they are displayed very well, especially on the metal stand. The use of that root stand with that tree is very good also in my opinion. Sorry it’s just unusual to see such good displays here - most seem to miss the mark somehow. I agree the accent in the shohin needs work but you are dong that. Thanks for the opportunity to review these. The moss in that rough little pot is just perfect.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry I’m being redundant here but home from work now and able to give these the time they are due and I reiterate that these look good to me. In fact the best I’ve seen posted on this site. You have some of my favorite trees here and they are displayed very well, especially on the metal stand. The use of that root stand with that tree is very good also in my opinion. Sorry it’s just unusual to see such good displays here - most seem to miss the mark somehow. I agree the accent in the shohin needs work but you are dong that. Thanks for the opportunity to review these. The moss in that rough little pot is just perfect.
I also wired the goji berry today, after seeing the photos, it showed me that it needed some redirection on branching. I will repost these after the changes are completed. Thanks for the kind thoughts. I know lots of other people have much better material and displays than I do here on the site, but many do not seem to feel like posting them is something they want to do.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful displays, Thanks for posting. The three point is mucho bueno. For my brothers here in Fresno....

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Beautiful displays, Thanks for posting. The three point is mucho bueno. For my brothers here in Fresno....
Well your posts on bonsai display set me on this road, so it's kinda all your fault. The goji looks much more refined with the wiring I just did on it, should have time to set before the show date. Thank you Al.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow! Judy, you have taken quantum leaps here! Excellent!!!

On the Shohin stand, you use two small stands of the same style, both are the “legs curled under”. They should be different. And as you noted, a jita for the accent is better than a stand.

I would have your guy make several Jitas in different shapes. You never know what you’ll need in the future! I would have him make several sizes of round ones. The simplicity of a circle seems appropriate to go with that stand. Also several sizes of squares. And three rectangles. The rectangles are placed together in a stair step kind of pattern, or two squared up with the middle piece pulled out an inch. Can be used to indicate movement.

I have a bag of wooden versions of all these shapes that <redacted> gave me. Really comes in handy to have little jitas available when trying to match an accent Plant!

Love, love, love the frog!

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Yeah, I wish I had a shrink gun to zap that pot with,

I was looking at the shohin display again. I think maybe you could tweak it by playing with the spacing. Try having the accent about twice as far from the main stand as it is at the moment. That may introduce more of a feeling of space, and make the pot feel less large. Also, it will break up the straight line you currently have between three of the elements.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks @Adair M . It will be easy to have him make the different shapes, he's into it.
@TomB , I will be quite lucky to get this much table space. I agree that not only the shohin stand could use more distance, but the 3 point could also be spread out a little more. Good luck to me on that. They usually set them quite close. And this year one of the two people setting the show is a basic newbie (a couple years) who I don't think has ever shown anything before. I will go in and tweak my displays, but I will not be part of the setting of the show, as I will surely be looked at as if I'm setting it up in my favor.
@Gary McCarthy , don't hold your breath! :)

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gorgeous displays!
The steel display is both very suttle and powerful at the same time :)

I love the way the lighter coloured accent slab compliments and even enhances the Hornbeam's light pot, connecting the two and sort of teaming them up.
The drawback is, it does draw attention a little bit away from the tree.
Therefore I would choose a darker, very small slab, that would be just barely visable underneath the accent pot.
This is just the way my eye sees it, I obviously have no knowledge or experience in this area.

Anyways; best of luck to you at this year's shows!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Gorgeous displays!
The steel display is both very suttle and powerful at the same time :)

I love the way the lighter coloured accent slab compliments and even enhances the Hornbeam's light pot, connecting the two and sort of teaming them up.
The drawback is, it does draw attention a little bit away from the tree.
Therefore I would choose a darker, very small slab, that would be just barely visable underneath the accent pot.
This is just the way my eye sees it, I obviously have no knowledge or experience in this area.

Anyways; best of luck to you at this year's shows!
Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I will share the new jitta once I get it made.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I love them all!

... Except maybe the deshojo in the shohin "metal" display. To me, it needs more work in comparison to your other trees.

I hope you will excuse my being so frank, but I think this one doesn't match the others. Personal opinion of course.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love them all!

... Except maybe the deshojo in the shohin "metal" display. To me, it needs more work in comparison to your other trees.

I hope you will excuse my being so frank, but I think this one doesn't match the others. Personal opinion of course.
No problem with constructive criticism. It does need to fill out on the middle of the left canopy. I hope to get a little more growth in the next few weeks to get a better silhouette. It's coming along, and it was the only one with the correct size and movement to complement the rest of the display. I need more options as I get further into this discipline.
And actually when I go back to the first page photos, the goji looks so much better today than when I took those shots, the wiring I did yesterday made a huge improvement. I will look again at the maple in this same light.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I can see you understand what I mean. Anyway, photos are often misleading, they don't render the full feeling one can have when in front of the real tree, in true colours and in 3-D.

Love your trees Judy, with this personal sensitive touch :cool:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You never have enough Shohin to choose from when making a display! Daisaku tells me that he has hundreds, yet he still wishes he had more!

(Daisaku is a VP in the Nippon Bonsai Association.)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You never have enough Shohin to choose from when making a display! Daisaku tells me that he has hundreds, yet he still wishes he had more!

(Daisaku is a VP in the Nippon Bonsai Association.)
it is certainly addictive. I feel the pull...

Top Bottom