Displays for 2018

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
I love your touch, very refined.
Some things I saw were already pointed out.
1. My opinion on the jiita is to use the third. With the long leg pointing back toward the tree. It helps to neutralize the left to right flow of the entire display, because the shape and placement of the leaves of this accent really doesn't stop the flow. The second could do the same effect, but the color seems to clash with the pot...
I also want to know about the size of your display space (depth wise). You have placed the accent slightly behind, but if you could exaggerate that just a tad more then might be better. Of course, this might just be an aspect that the photo is not picking up and it may be perfectly placed in real life.
2. My only opinion on second root stand display was the accent mossball being centered on the jiita, but that was already brought up.
3. The stand on the Tana display's accent was already pointed out as being redundant. On this one you should consider the formality and theme of the display. You have two Gyou (Semi Formal Trees) and a Sou (Informal) accent. The sou would typically indicate the use of an irregular or round shaped jiita. Since you are trying to evoke a pond scene with your plant, have the shape of the jiita mimic that to subconsciously signal that in the viewers mind. Alternatively, if you would like a more formal look to the display, one style of jiita I have not seen used anywhere in USA is a elongated star shape....

Thank you for sharing.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love your touch, very refined.
Some things I saw were already pointed out.
1. My opinion on the jiita is to use the third. With the long leg pointing back toward the tree. It helps to neutralize the left to right flow of the entire display, because the shape and placement of the leaves of this accent really doesn't stop the flow. The second could do the same effect, but the color seems to clash with the pot...
I also want to know about the size of your display space (depth wise). You have placed the accent slightly behind, but if you could exaggerate that just a tad more then might be better. Of course, this might just be an aspect that the photo is not picking up and it may be perfectly placed in real life.
2. My only opinion on second root stand display was the accent mossball being centered on the jiita, but that was already brought up.
3. The stand on the Tana display's accent was already pointed out as being redundant. On this one you should consider the formality and theme of the display. You have two Gyou (Semi Formal Trees) and a Sou (Informal) accent. The sou would typically indicate the use of an irregular or round shaped jiita. Since you are trying to evoke a pond scene with your plant, have the shape of the jiita mimic that to subconsciously signal that in the viewers mind. Alternatively, if you would like a more formal look to the display, one style of jiita I have not seen used anywhere in USA is a elongated star shape....

Thank you for sharing.
Thanks for your in depth thoughts. The thought of using the jiita to mimc water is very smart, will see what I can come up with. For the display with the Single tree and accent, the entire accent is being replaced as the pot is a bit strong for the display. I have a stone on the way that I'll plant and will try again. I was thinking that if I get the accent right this time, maybe a scroll could complete the display. What would you recommend? I would want something very simple yet evocative.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for your in depth thoughts. The thought of using the jiita to mimc water is very smart, will see what I can come up with. For the display with the Single tree and accent, the entire accent is being replaced as the pot is a bit strong for the display. I have a stone on the way that I'll plant and will try again. I was thinking that if I get the accent right this time, maybe a scroll could complete the display. What would you recommend? I would want something very simple yet evocative.
I think you said your show was next month. Could you tell me the following:
1. The Display Theme (Season or Location you are trying to feature?)

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you said your show was next month. Could you tell me the following:
1. The Display Theme (Season or Location you are trying to feature?)
The show is in 2 weeks.
@JudyB As for mimicking water with the jiita I wonder if something were tried that wasn't even wood. Perhaps a clay mold to the proper size and shape then pour a clear blue resin in it? Or something else similar.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
The show is in 2 weeks.
@JudyB As for mimicking water with the jiita I wonder if something were tried that wasn't even wood. Perhaps a clay mold to the proper size and shape then pour a clear blue resin in it? Or something else similar.

I do have a bonsai artist scroll that I received in June that he needs by mid-August. The longer the time to work on it the better. Beautiful silk painting. If you want opinions of what themes would be appropriate for August, that is possible...but I would stay with what you have.

Although the ceramic is a good suggestion, I feel it might not be congruent with the metal tana....which I love by the way. Shape of a metal piece is more of what I was getting at more than color as far as the suggestion went.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
When I said star shape maybe not a very good description. The two left hand shapes were more of what I had in mind.
SANY1024.JPG
Maybe the metal artist can make some etched rippling effect on the surface?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The show is in 2 weeks.
I still want to use the metal to create this, it pulls the display together and stays in the idea frame I'm after. I'm sure something will work out once I see Jaiymie about it.
I may place that other display in a different show that is later in the year. Won't worry about a scroll for the Columbus show.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When I said star shape maybe not a very good description. The two left hand shapes were more of what I had in mind.
View attachment 199216
Maybe the metal artist can make some etched rippling effect on the surface?
Yes those shapes are also what I have in mind. I should meet with him later on today.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I still want to use the metal to create this, it pulls the display together and stays in the idea frame I'm after. I'm sure something will work out once I see Jaiymie about it.
I may place that other display in a different show that is later in the year. Won't worry about a scroll for the Columbus show.
I know you are trying to keep the metal theme going for this show. I didn't necessarily mean for your specific display. It was just an idea for the fish pot and semiaquatic plants. A thought for a future display.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I didn’t realize the irregular jita was intended to portray water, although it makes sense. Perhaps using maple with a tiger or quilted grain pattern could enhance the effect slightly without making it too literal by suggesting ripples or sunlight reflections, although that could work against the serenity of the image.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is the metal "slab" for the accent, works far better. Thanks all for the suggestions! @kakejiku this shape worked so well. He even did a water pattern on one side. The other side is plain so if I want to use it some other way I can.
P1030063.jpgP1030062.jpgP1030061.jpg

Last edited:

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I really like that metal 'slab'. Works well with the pot and planting.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I made a new accent piece for the Hornbeam display, the other one was nice but didn't really fit well. I got this shaped Kurama stone pot from Jeremiah Lee. Also a taller cherry burl from my metal artist friend who has a very large old cherry tree that came down in his yard that has a huge burl on it. He's cut me off a few and is planning on making more of these. The long one in the photos is 24" or thereabouts. It has 3 separate places I can put things on, so that should be fun to figure out how to use these in displays. If anyone is interested in these burls LMK.P1030057.jpgP1030052.jpgP1030059.jpgP1030060.jpg

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the new hornbeam accent better. It's smaller and makes the tree look better. And the more rugged looking slab. I only wonder if a less bright lime green selaginella were used.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the new hornbeam accent better. It's smaller and makes the tree look better. And the more rugged looking slab. I only wonder if a less bright lime green selaginella were used.
Part of it is the way the camera is picking up that brighter color, I'm not very good at photography to balance stuff like that out. The hornbeam leaves have a similar tone to the newer leaves, so I think it's ok. The stone texture echoes the bark texture of the hornbeam as well.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well done Judy! Yours surely stood out from most there. From seeing photos shared of the link here elsewhere of photos of the trees. Glad I can see closer photos of your work. That fish pot was stunning how you planted it out as well. And the metal under it...superb!

Top Bottom