Displays for CBS 17

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a few different combination ideas, I know what I'm leaning toward, but would like to have outside opinions/critique if anyone is so inclined.
Show is this weekend, would love to know if anyone from the Nut house is attending. I will be there doing a shift of "security" on Sunday from 1-5.

Chinese Hackberry shohin companion tree is a Deshojo maple that the wire will be removed from later this week.

Red Beech with Kingsville boxwood as the companion.

P1020379.jpg P1020380.jpg P1020381.jpg P1020383.jpg P1020385.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Boxwood on it's own, with accent choices. I see that it's off center of the stand, oops!
Crepe Myrtle that has two good sides, I like both... with a couple different options for accent. And I'll also remove the wire and trim the new leaves that are growing out of the silhouette a bit later this week.

P1020386.jpgP1020387.jpgP1020388.jpgP1020389.jpgP1020390.jpgP1020391.jpg

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
No opinion about others but the maple with the hackberry is a no go for me - the maple is too interesting and distracting. And having two similarly styled trees is also a little monotonous to me. The same could probably be said of the beech with the boxwood. All nice trees however! Good luck!

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've gotta agree with velodog2 about pairing the two trees together. For both the hackberry and the beech. I do like the accent in the second photo with the hackberry.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No opinion about others but the maple with the hackberry is a no go for me - the maple is too interesting and distracting. And having two similarly styled trees is also a little monotonous to me. The same could probably be said of the beech with the boxwood. All nice trees however! Good luck!
This being my first attempt at a 3 point display I'm not surprised if it falls short of the mark. I do not think that I'll use the beech as a 3 point display in any event, as the tree is actually too large for that. Thanks for the opinions, all welcome.

KeithE

Yamadori
Reaction score
Great trees! Applying what I learned at the shohin nationals display critique... option 1 is nice, maybe if the little maple is farther away it won't compete with the hackberry so much. or replace the maple with grassy accent. The boxwood is very green, with equally green moss, and more thick green moss accent. All three greens are similar shape and color. And the dark blue pot blends in with dark stand. I don't mind the boxwood next to the beech. The boxwood balances the lean of the beech. Similarly the maple balances lean of the hackberry.
Either option with scar to the back for myrtle is a winner.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great trees! Applying what I learned at the shohin nationals display critique... option 1 is nice, maybe if the little maple is farther away it won't compete with the hackberry so much. or replace the maple with grassy accent. The boxwood is very green, with equally green moss, and more thick green moss accent. All three greens are similar shape and color. And the dark blue pot blends in with dark stand. I don't mind the boxwood next to the beech. The boxwood balances the lean of the beech. Similarly the maple balances lean of the hackberry.
Either option with scar to the back for myrtle is a winner.
Thank you for your thoughts Keith. If this show is anything like past shows, they will group things tightly to each other, so I'm attempting to find things that sort of fit that framework. I'm still working thru the combinations this week, for now I think that the only thing I'm set on is the second photo of the crepe myrtle as I think the accent plant is too large for it, and the little colorful Bunzan pot works well with that tree. Funny thing about that tree, seems like cilantro, you either love or hate the scar side...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've gotta agree with velodog2 about pairing the two trees together. For both the hackberry and the beech. I do like the accent in the second photo with the hackberry.
I almost asked you if you had any little plants I could borrow as accent plants lol. It's always the last thing I think about... Are you going to be able to get to the show?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
equally green moss, and more thick green moss accent
Can you tell I love moss??? :D:D:D One of my favorite things about preparing the tree is creating the moss forest around the tree. I love having different textures with the larger trees, but try to keep the smaller ones simpler most of the time, so as not to distract.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I almost asked you if you had any little plants I could borrow as accent plants lol. It's always the last thing I think about... Are you going to be able to get to the show?
I didn't make it to the MABA show as planned this past weekend so I hope to at least be able to get to the CBS show for at least a few minutes. My dad got us concert tickets but we've gotta go through Columbus to get there so there's a good chance I'll make it.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Your pot selection and potting of your trees has really improved over the last few years, they really look perfectly matched and planted, love the green hack pot, is this one for display only?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Wow, that hackberry is looking beautiful Judy. Very graceful and natural. I'd just show it with the accent plant.
The beech works with the boxwood, but I'd use the bunzan pot as your accent for the 3-point.
Crape myrtle looks better with the chop to the back. They grow so fast here that they're rarely seen with dead wood.

Good job, no doubt the show will be improved by your participation.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Any pictures of the plants as you displayed them at the show? Nice stuff :)

Grimmy
The show is so tight, it's actually better the photographs I can do here. There are some photos someone took that are in another thread about the CBS show.
I know crap about displays. It all looks great to me.
I think your trees are wonderful Judy.
Thank you very much Mike!
Your pot selection and potting of your trees has really improved over the last few years, they really look perfectly matched and planted, love the green hack pot, is this one for display only?
I have spent a lot of time with learning pot pairings over the past few years, so it's gratifying to hear you say that, thank you My Crust. All of these pots are year round pots, the hackberry has no issues with the shallowness of that pot, as it's 100% akadama...
Wow, that hackberry is looking beautiful Judy. Very graceful and natural. I'd just show it with the accent plant.
The beech works with the boxwood, but I'd use the bunzan pot as your accent for the 3-point.
Crape myrtle looks better with the chop to the back. They grow so fast here that they're rarely seen with dead wood.

Good job, no doubt the show will be improved by your participation.
Thanks Bri, I did use the chop to the back of the CM. The show was a bit better than previous years, a few folks are stepping up with some better material. Finishing the displays and mossing the trees seems like something no one is interested in, so to me, it still looks half assed though. And lots of trees with lots of wire, and not the neat kind, even guy wiring!

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
View attachment 152653[/QUOTE)

I think this is your best option for this tree. The other accent's pot is too close in shape. Also, the stand for this tree could be something smaller, with a lighter feel, and perhaps taller. I feel like the tree has a strong base and center as it is shown, and the stand is stronger, more masculine than it needs to be. Do you have anything like that so we can see what it would look like?

View attachment 152658[/QUOTE]
This. . . Perfect.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some general comments:

A "Three Point Display" is used for trees that are larger than Shohin, but not really big enough to stand on their own. But they should both be about the same size. Usually one of the trees is shown on a tall stand.

When two trees are shown together, the pots should be of different styles and colors. Ideally, one should be a conifer and the other deciduous, but at any rate the foliage should be different.

So, I think the best Three point combo would be using the boxwood and the maple together since they are similiar sized, and the foliage of each is different.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 152653[/QUOTE)

I think this is your best option for this tree. The other accent's pot is too close in shape. Also, the stand for this tree could be something smaller, with a lighter feel, and perhaps taller. I feel like the tree has a strong base and center as it is shown, and the stand is stronger, more masculine than it needs to be. Do you have anything like that so we can see what it would look like?

View attachment 152658
This. . . Perfect.[/QUOTE]
I don't really have much of a stand collection. I tend to spend all my $$on material (trees) LOL. Thanks for your input however!
Some general comments:

A "Three Point Display" is used for trees that are larger than Shohin, but not really big enough to stand on their own. But they should both be about the same size. Usually one of the trees is shown on a tall stand.

When two trees are shown together, the pots should be of different styles and colors. Ideally, one should be a conifer and the other deciduous, but at any rate the foliage should be different.

So, I think the best Three point combo would be using the boxwood and the maple together since they are similiar sized, and the foliage of each is different.
I didn't understand that the two trees should be the same size! Learn something new every day. Thanks Adair. :)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I didn't understand that the two trees should be the same size! Learn something new every day. Thanks Adair. :)
Not always the case. Sticking too close to the "rules" can lead to a boring display. I think your boxwood and maple would get lost if you put them into a 3-point. Sometimes the size discrepancy helps convey the sheer size of the larger tree. Here is Boon's under 18" Show, and it's not hung up on the same size rule, and these are some nice displays.
https://bonsaitonight.com/2011/02/01/three-point-displays/

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I know crap about displays. It all looks great to me.
I think your trees are wonderful Judy.
I repeat this.
It seems very far away from me a time when I will concern about display... I find all this knowledge very interesting, though.

Top Bottom