Dividing Azalea? Help needed!

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Is it possible for me to split these up? I circled the trunks I'd like to keep. The roots are one big solid mass underneith with feeder roots coming off of it.IMG_2914.jpg I thought maybe I could use a sawzaw and run right down between them. Otherwise I think this bush will be useless really.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The top right trunk is the one I really would like to keep. If this is possible when is the best time to do this and do I need to treat the huge open root mass with anything after this is done? Should I plant it in a pond basket of unorgantic soil to promote new root growth?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Have you considered air layering the branches you want to separate?

Envision the one you want (in the main tree) and the rest can either be removed now or air layered. Do not sacrifice the main tree for the sake of having more plants.

Just my 2 cents.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I don't want to airlayer and lose the lower section of the trunk and the nebari which would have great flare. Also I'm told airlayering an old azalea (40+ yrs old) isn't all that easy. If I'm told it can't be split then I will attempt a few layers.

I love two cents!!!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you misunderstood what I said. Please read it again. ;)

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I did misread what you had said lol and I honestly read the whole thing.
If the outcome is that I can't split them that's what I will do. Shame because there are 3 trunks I'd really like to have out of the group 2 being soda can size so I'm not sure how well they would layer. The one I really do want isn't as thick but will have a great trunk shape.

Thanks again for your two cents! That might be what I have to do in the long run.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Stacy thank you for your reply and that is what I was also thinking. I had pictures of the roots before but I can't find them for the life of me. Now the only way to show you is to pull it from the box its in and if I'm going to do that I will probably just go ahead and try to divide them. The easiest way I can explain the roots is to compare it to a block of wood. I used a saw to cut the bottom and 2 sides. It was one big solid block of wood about which after I cut it would be about 15 inches long 11 inches width and 8 inches tall. It has lots of very very fine feeder roots coming off of it around where I cut it originally.
Maybe I could divide it in half then next year layer off the branches I don't want or maybe divide it again. Right now box included probably weighs 100lbs which is very inconvieniant and as it sits I have nothing to work with.

I have read layering using the bridge technique is the best way for azaleas. Do you have any comment on this or do you think removing the ring all the way around would work fine?

Top Bottom