Diving into LED lighting

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi everyone,

So as a couple of you may know, I grow Ficus. I grow them indoors under T5 lights, as I've mentioned maybe once or twice before. What I'm really considering now is jumping into LED lighting and buying a small light to start me off and experiment. For those of you that grow under LEDs, what systems do you use? I'd like to not spend more than $200 for this first light, so I'd like something small but that can still pack a punch. I'm thinking:

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-Gen3-90-Watt-UFO-LED-Grow-Light

So, comments?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Or follow the saltwater aquarium guys and get a couple 50 or 100w chips and mount them to cpu coolers. The parts can be had for cheap, but it is worth splurging on a good constant current power supply that matches the chips' specs. I still haven't tried using a blue and a red chip to try and match the photosyntheticly active peaks.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291049086266

Much better light with 5 watt LEDs. OEM supplier for high end lamps.

Thanks Dave. My only concern with a light this large would be how I'd suspend it. I imagine it's pretty heavy. Great price though.

Or follow the saltwater aquarium guys and get a couple 50 or 100w chips and mount them to cpu coolers. The parts can be had for cheap, but it is worth splurging on a good constant current power supply that matches the chips' specs. I still haven't tried using a blue and a red chip to try and match the photosyntheticly active peaks.

There is no way I'd feel comfortable building my own. I'd just much rather buy one that's ready to go and has some great reviews.

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've used these which work well growing plants in my dart frog vivarium. Going to try them this winter as a grow light for the few tropical bonsai that I have

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/josh-s-frogs-green-gro-led-bulb-13-watt.html

After seeing the lights posted, my piddly vivarium light may not be near strong enough :).

Last edited:

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Dave. My only concern with a light this large would be how I'd suspend it. I imagine it's pretty heavy. Great price though.

There is no way I'd feel comfortable building my own. I'd just much rather buy one that's ready to go and has some great reviews.

Not that heavy and easy to move around. Maybe 15 lbs.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
In the planted aquaria realm, nothing gets better results than HO t5 systems. Especially on the cheap. Can't tell you how many people I have seen try all kind of things to put together a decent LED system only to be disappointed with plant growth. There are some decent led lights out there but you will never touch them for $200...check out Kessil or maybe it's Kessel?

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I own a salt water aquarium store. I'm going to tell you the same thing I tell every one. Low end LEDs are junk. Just put the money out and get these http://ecotechmarine.com/products/radion/.
Best on the market. Fully controllable. And they grow my bonsai (ficus) with ease. I could easly grow any tree with these. I did maples before just had to put them outside for winter.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I own a salt water aquarium store. I'm going to tell you the same thing I tell every one. Low end LEDs are junk. Just put the money out and get these http://ecotechmarine.com/products/radion/.
Best on the market. Fully controllable. And they grow my bonsai (ficus) with ease. I could easly grow any tree with these. I did maples before just had to put them outside for winter.

Dumb question, but where is the price for that light??

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
eBay is your best deal

Search item number 380812040728

It is my understanding this is the manufacturer of the best led lights made (including black star).

I have this light and it's amazing.

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
eBay is your best deal

Search item number 380812040728

It is my understanding this is the manufacturer of the best led lights made (including black star).

I have this light and it's amazing.

Wow! That light looks insane! What kind of growth are you getting?!

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
The growth was amazing. I am now doing cuttings for pines during the growing season. I have seen amazing growth. Be sure to start at the highest elevation when you start as I have fried some cutting on just the light intensity.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The growth was amazing. I am now doing cuttings for pines during the growing season. I have seen amazing growth. Be sure to start at the highest elevation when you start as I have fried some cutting on just the light intensity.

Everything I've read has told me to avoid cheap Chinese LEDs though. Apparently they're junk and go bad. Do a search and you'll see what I mean.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Everything I've read has told me to avoid cheap Chinese LEDs though. Apparently they're junk and go bad. Do a search and you'll see what I mean.

Rofl true.

The problem is these are not cheap Chinese LEDs. They are the primary manufacture of the high end LEDs that you get here in the US. I did some research and as far as I have found there is no primary US manufacture. There are assemblers but they are buying from outside manufacturers.

I assure you these are the high quality and if you go their retail side you will see them selling the same lights under the (blackstar?) trade name for more than 3x the price.

You don't have to trust my word but they do have a warranty, warehouses in the US, and a money back period.

I am certain you will not be disappointed.

Japan, China, and Taiwan are big players. US has about 15% but I believe thy are outsourced.

Last edited:

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Same manufacturer and ebay seller I recommended. Get the 5 watt lamps instead of 3 watt.

Top Bottom