Diving into pottery

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I’m guessing this is a mayhaw or deciduous based on the shape. Either that or something like a literati or top-branching bald cypress with more effeminate character. I think it’s more fun to guess what Uncle C is putting in 😝

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@Cajunrider oh my... that is a BIGGGGG pot! Show us the tree you had in mind for this bad boy
It is none other than Franco Columbo. While large the pot is delicate. I am making a support slab to ensure a flat surface for the pot to rest on top.
Franco is budding right not. He is going to flex his handsome branches soon.

1709301164126.png

ForrestW

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice job! Those size pots are tough. Looking forward to seeing it potted up-- that will be a nice combination.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is none other than Franco Columbo. While large the pot is delicate. I am making a support slab to ensure a flat surface for the pot to rest on top.
Franco is budding right not. He is going to flex his handsome branches soon.

View attachment 531170
Going to be awesome! Love the 'lie^u~ ru~' feel of Franco.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is there a good reason that pots, especially this size, don't have extra feet in the middle of the bottom to help support the weight of the tree? Small pots don't need them, and extra tall feet would make them visible but large low pots like these seem like it could reduce sagging during firing, and stress on the slab bottom too

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is there a good reason that pots, especially this size, don't have extra feet in the middle of the bottom to help support the weight of the tree? Small pots don't need them, and extra tall feet would make them visible but large low pots like these seem like it could reduce sagging during firing, and stress on the slab bottom too
Potters often use temporary supports for firing, either made from the same clay dried at the same time, or small piles of a sand mixture. You can often see some fumed round marks on the base of a pot where they were. The best Chinese pots of old have small "sesame seed" marks on the base where they were supported.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Potters often use temporary supports for firing, either made from the same clay dried at the same time, or small piles of a sand mixture. You can often see some fumed round marks on the base of a pot where they were. The best Chinese pots of old have small "sesame seed" marks on the base where they were supported.

Yup I’ve definitely seen those for support during firing. On a practical level in my community studio, those always make it through the bisque firing but then get lost before the glaze firing. I guess I was wondering why those aren’t made permanent on 2’+ size pots

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I think in pottery anyone can throw some clay together and call it a “bonsai pot,” but to do it well is a different story. I am not saying I am doing it well, but I keep trying to challenge myself to keep myself entertained. I have waited a few years to take on a bag pot. I have been talking with other artists that have been doing this for well for years. This is from a slab not on a wheel. This is my third try and each one gets better. IMG_8395.jpegIMG_8396.jpeg

Top Bottom