Diving into pottery

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Re: photos
Here's a cheap-for-now "seamless paper" effect
492B3035-98F4-4CBC-BC7D-E6871038D47D.jpeg
set up with a sheet of dollar store posterboard (now slightly spoiled by terra cotta dust) in indirect outdoor light -- just a bench & a wall for support. 🙂
D80FDA73-F945-4B67-BF06-5D792FFD4BE6.jpegC62B3B25-D979-4C5F-817F-C8ABA55B391E.jpeg

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
If you use a white background and go outdoors you'll be using natural light which is as good as it gets. The white will reflect light back onto the subject rather than absorb light. Shoot early in the day....No later than 10 a.m and late in the evening about 7 p.m. Make sure the sun is behind you.

If you're shooting when the sun is overhead in mid-day you'll have long shadows. You want the light to be pointed at the subject, in this case the pot. (That's why you want the sun to be low.) Using natural light will make the colors as true to life as humanely possible.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Try it with all white TinyArt, you'll get the most accurate rendition of your subject using all white. With the rest of the white you have It will bounce the light around and that's what you see when you see people outdoors shooting and they have someone holding a giant white circle. It's to bounce more light where the shooter wants it.

Your colors will be more saturated and more true to the colors of what you're shooting. I can see where you're getting a few highlights from the light coming from the side but if you shoot the exact same scene using white and compare it may surprise you.

With the still life you're shooting it's hard for the viewer to know the precise coloring of the subject but for a potter he wants the viewer to see it as true to life as possible.

You can see the black background start to fade out? If you were doing that for a magazine you'd want that to be jet black. That's why it would need to be lit. It gets complicated. You did a good job for somebody working from home. Keep at it but try it with white and you'll see a big difference. If these were plants they would get very grey and you'd say, 'What happened!' I did it the same way as I did the watering can.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
someone holding a giant white circle.
I've been that person!
Keep at it but try it with white and you'll see a big difference. If these were plants they would get very grey and you'd say, 'What happened!'
Will do! You've got me curious to set the same plants up twice & see the difference -- and I bet you'll reform me!

(okay, back to the previously scheduled thread -- with better pictures, a la Katie!)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I been looking into those large photo backdrops, they are less expensive than I once thought.

Sorce

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I couldnt post this with my previous post because I was on my phone but this picture was taken with the aforementioned black felt as a back ground, outside in the mid to late afternoon with a cell phone.

View attachment 398339
Felt will absorb light rather then reflect black back onto your tree so it's a much better choice than black paper.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A few more. The inside rim doesn’t help with warping as much as I was hoping. Probably won’t do this style much. I threw a couple mame pots in for @Pitoon
View attachment 402259View attachment 402260View attachment 402261View attachment 402262View attachment 402263View attachment 402264View attachment 402265View attachment 402266View attachment 402267View attachment 402268
Very nice! That glaze on the rounded rectangle looks nice. I think my next batch will include smaller hand-built pieces. That blue wide lipped makes want to try to build one.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Very nice! That glaze on the rounded rectangle looks nice. I think my next batch will include smaller hand-built pieces. That blue wide lipped makes want to try to build one.
You should. The glaze dripped a little so I have some grinding to do to have it sit level but I think a nice azalea will pair well

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That glaze speaks to me as well
and if anyone should apply their skills to hand building some pots its you.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
That glaze is a new one they are working with. Since I used it they tweaked the recipe but it will end up being a brown reddish black glaze. I’m excited about it.

Top Bottom