Diving into pottery

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Any tips to get a thick glaze when applying, yet keeping the inside unglazed? I made a few but painted on the glaze. I would dunk them, but not sure how I would keep the inside unglazed with the drainage holes on the bottom. I'm guessing I needed to do multiple layers with brush strokes. I only did two layers and they came out really matte, light, etc. Curious how you are applying.
I spray glazes or pour. If I spray I put something in the bottom to protect it. If it’s an oxide I’ll just spray the whole pot. You can also brush on wax on the inside. If you pour and want straight lines use painters tape. Hope that helps. Pm me if you have more questions

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Any tips to get a thick glaze when applying, yet keeping the inside unglazed? I made a few but painted on the glaze. I would dunk them, but not sure how I would keep the inside unglazed with the drainage holes on the bottom. I'm guessing I needed to do multiple layers with brush strokes. I only did two layers and they came out really matte, light, etc. Curious how you are applying.
Put masking tape over the holes and dip upside down.

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome -- thank you both! Will try these next week.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would dunk them, but not sure how I would keep the inside unglazed with the drainage holes on the bottom.
I have been pondering this for years but never done a thing about it.
Maybe chewing gum in the hole? :D

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been pondering this for years but never done a thing about it.
Maybe chewing gum in the hole? :D
My pottery experience is very limited, but I just used spare/dirty clay to plug the holes before turning a pot over and dipping it.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I re glaze things often. I don't like to sell anything I don't like. I do like the color of the pot you are adverse to.
When I re glaze, I spray the pot first with cheap Dollar Store spray starch to keep the glaze from beading up. Especially important on re glazing on a gloss finish.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I re glaze things often. I don't like to sell anything I don't like. I do like the color of the pot you are adverse to.
When I re glaze, I spray the pot first with cheap Dollar Store spray starch to keep the glaze from beading up. Especially important on re glazing on a gloss finish.
It’s more the iron oxide, it wasn’t as concentrated when I sprayed it so it looks more pink.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s more the iron oxide, it wasn’t as concentrated when I sprayed it so it looks more pink.
I see that it was sprayed. And the iron oxide is going to be hard to adjust post firing. You could put it outside for awhile and let it develop a weathered patina. Of course there are other ways to advance and effect the iron oxide as well.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I see that it was sprayed. And the iron oxide is going to be hard to adjust post firing. You could put it outside for awhile and let it develop a weathered patina. Of course there are other ways to advance and effect the iron oxide as well.
I have done it before with iron oxide but not with a two tone pot like this. The gloss glaze with it would be tough. I’ll just move this pot to a new home and learn from it

Top Bottom