DIY hydraulic turntable

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I ordered a hydraulic chair base to make my own turntable. Saved over $100 compared to what’s available on the market.
The top bracket is designed for a chair that reclines slightly, so it’s not level. Had to come Up with a way to level the tabletop.
292F2CBC-6C15-4383-AF9C-7791A24659FD.jpeg
I used these composite shims:
0997C3E9-E3A5-419A-A9F4-4546983D7996.jpeg
The excess just snaps off.
7EFAB621-99FB-4B49-AB8F-5E6B941C6A95.jpeg
Countersunk bolts:9B8C2A51-C663-42E9-8A4D-B3DC9D98ACE4.jpeg
The (almost) finished product:
504F5EEA-FFE1-47C1-9895-7415E84C0B9D.jpeg
I have some EPDM rubber sheeting that I’ll cut to fit the top.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just ordered a base like this myself! I hope to rig something to increase the height a good bit, I would orefer it to be a couple feet taller...

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just ordered a base like this myself! I hope to rig something to increase the height a good bit, I would orefer it to be a couple feet taller...

Anything can be modified, take it apart and add to it , or screw some blocks to the feet !

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Anything can be modified, take it apart and add to it , or screw some blocks to the feet !
I was thinking of some sort of impliment between the mounting plate and the table top... it will be hard to mock up until I get it- just ordered it tonight! I bought an office chair to try to make something smaller out of but I cant figur eout how to get the damn wheels off the bottom and dont really want it to roll... so I went for this type of base today.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice yes I want to build one without wheels to keep on my covered porch , use it as a side table when I’m not working. Keep us updated

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
I made this one over the weekend. Not the must beautiful but it’s free and will work!

Attachments

• B62EFB44-F50C-4039-B11B-DAE0FD3A05EB.jpeg
    B62EFB44-F50C-4039-B11B-DAE0FD3A05EB.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 163

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pictures or it didn’t happen
Here is what Adair means. I have done approximately 15 so far. Purchase old barber or salon chair. Craigslist approx 35-50 dollars, build solid top and shim to adjust if needed. I prefer to use 2 inch stock for the top. Stain and varathane. They stand up well. The tops i made for Boon,s turntables have been in use for five years and have a nice patina but have not warped or broken. I prefer the round tops but it is easier to make the rectangular ones. If you prefer a non slip surface it is easy to add as noted above. Also i prefer the thicker stock as it allows me to lag bolt from below rather than disturb the surface.

Attachments

• IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 144

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is what Adair means. I have done approximately 15 so far. Purchase old barber or salon chair. Craigslist approx 35-50 dollars, build solid top and shim to adjust if needed. I prefer to use 2 inch stock for the top. Stain and varathane. They stand up well. The tops i made for Boon,s turntables have been in use for five years and have a nice patina but have not warped or broken. I prefer the round tops but it is easier to make the rectangular ones. If you prefer a non slip surface it is easy to add as noted above. Also i prefer the thicker stock as it allows me to lag bolt from below rather than disturb the surface.
In my area, I could never find good ones on Craig’s List, so I sprung for the $165 for a new base. Here it is with the EPDM rubber surface. It has smoothed out more after being on for a while.
7B6B6E15-025D-4680-8F94-00DAD1049E55.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In my area, I could never find good ones on Craig’s List, so I sprung for the $165 for a new base. Here it is with the EPDM rubber surface. It has smoothed out more after being on for a while.
View attachment 176867
Looks great, i am sure you will enjoy! They are very useful when working on styling in particular.
Yours looks better than my old style productions. I stuck with the old style because i prefer the heavier base and stronger hydraulics for larger trees and yamadori. They tend to weigh more than the capacity listed for the lighter salon bases.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I cant figur eout how to get the damn wheels off the bottom and dont really want it to roll...

They should pry off at the base where they connect... They normally get "tapped" into a metal sleeve.

Grimmy

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I converted a couple old “hairdresser’s chairs” or barbers chairs. Didn’t have to level.
This is what I’m hoping to find. They raise and lower more than most chairs and if you add a tilt top from a sculptors bench (unless it’s a reclining chair already) you would have the ultimate work table IMHO.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I’m planning to build one of these myself. Those of you who have built one, what is the range of heights available for the turntable? Do you find it to be effective? is it better used sitting or standing?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m planning to build one of these myself. Those of you who have built one, what is the range of heights available for the turntable? Do you find it to be effective? is it better used sitting or standing?
You can usually get better leverage when you wire by standing, especially with larger gauge wire.

It's nice to have the option to sit or stand honestly. My stand allows me to do both which I find helpful

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I built a very similar turntable. I used a drafting stool and a solid walnut cutting board as the top. The stool was from Amazon, where I found the cheapest one with the widest travel range, which ended up being about 8”. Minimum height is 18”, which is nice and low for working on the top of taller trees.

$80 for the stool, about $70 for the cutting board. Certainly could’ve been done for a lot cheaper, but I really like the look of the top. The stool—namely it’s piston, caster wheels, and the rotation—is not great, but is fine.

I’m excited to have a really nice, mobile and comfy indoor setup now! I use a small stool, a bar cart for my tools, and now this turntable. Previously, I did all my work on my trees outside, which limited my working hours somewhat (of course, this wasn’t a problem this summer with those 9pm sunsets!)

Attachments

• IMG_0812.jpeg
    IMG_0812.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0813.jpeg
    IMG_0813.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 15
Top Bottom