DIY or cheap "Hydrocart" for moving large bonsai?

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I have some large/heavy trees that I need to move every so often, and I've been using a regular flat dolly (Home Depot) for moving them. This dolly/cart doesn't have large tires, so every bump is absorbed by the tree. It also doesn't have a lift to change the height of the tree, so I do a fair amount of lifting still.
I'm basically looking for this but cheaper or DIY:

Does anyone have a good alternative or hack?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Harbor Freight often has hydraulic lift carts like that - significantly cheaper and no shipping.

Might not have the wheels you're looking for though.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
You could also build something in a scissor style or buy a used one and winch power it. Boat winches are cheap and a couple pilots and bolts later you’d have a “hydraulic” lift cart to move trees around. Another $50 or so to replace wheels with bigger ones for off road and you could have the adjustable table of your dreams for half the price and at least the usefulness if not convenience of a hydraulic one.

You could also buy an old scissor car Jack and take the core of it to “power” your lift table. A battery powered drill and a way to connect it and it’s powered again!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Not sure how handy you may be but this article from a bonsai club newsletter shows how a couple of guys made a powered lift trolley from scrapped mobility scooters and hydraulic lifter.
scooter 1.JPG

scooter 2.JPG

scooter 3.JPG
Sounds kind of cool. I think I might start looking out for a scooter to cannibalize.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Harbor Freight often has hydraulic lift carts like that - significantly cheaper and no shipping.

Might not have the wheels you're looking for though.
And then replace the wheels with larger ones. You will need to lower the axel to accommodate the larger wheels. It’s pretty easy to do.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Not sure how handy you may be but this article from a bonsai club newsletter shows how a couple of guys made a powered lift trolley from scrapped mobility scooters and hydraulic lifter.
View attachment 322401

View attachment 322402

View attachment 322403
Sounds kind of cool. I think I might start looking out for a scooter to cannibalize.
Fricking genius! That is some redneck type engineering! Lmao I’m jealous I’ve never thought of it!

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
You should be able to adapt different wheels to this:
After posting my ideas I saw this wooden one and while it is a lot of work you often trade money for labor and I’m very impressed!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you don't want to mess around with conversions and/or building your own, (and have a lot of cash) you can go here--there's a conversion kit, as well as already-converted hydrocarts.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
If you don't want to mess around with conversions and/or building your own, (and have a lot of cash) you can go here--there's a conversion kit, as well as already-converted hydrocarts.

Budget/DIY was the goal though. The $400 big wheel conversion plus the $100-$250 cart puts it right in the $600+ range again. Not sure what skills @cbrshadow23 has but DIY lift cart on a motorized scooter frame seems like the cheapest option so far that will be an upgrade on anything I’ve found out there. I’m tempted to buy an old scooter as they’re all over FL and a cheapie metal cart myself now!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does anyone have a good alternative or hack?
I thought MarkyScott has best solution

Last edited:

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I have to move one of my big units I go totally Egyptian. I take three pieces of pvc pipe and position them under box and roll away rotating the third as it spits out the back. How's that for cheapass diy?

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I thought MarkyScott has best solution

Exactly my thought. I wonder if @markyscott remembers where he got the wheels?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Budget/DIY was the goal though. The $400 big wheel conversion plus the $100-$250 cart puts it right in the $600+ range again. Not sure what skills @cbrshadow23 has but DIY lift cart on a motorized scooter frame seems like the cheapest option so far that will be an upgrade on anything I’ve found out there. I’m tempted to buy an old scooter as they’re all over FL and a cheapie metal cart myself now!
I don't have a cart like that, but with trees that I've been working on for two decades and that weigh almost 150 lbs, dropping one or having one break a cheap cart would cost me far more than $600...I understand the need to improvise, though.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Exactly my thought. I wonder if @markyscott remembers where he got the wheels?

The first set came from Harbor Freight. The front pneumatic wheels fell apart after a couple years and I replaced them with these. They look pretty similar to the Harbor Freight ones - we’ll see if they last longer.

S

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Fair enough. But spending $300 on a 1000lb conversion vs $600 Is a big difference.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This looks like an option. Both for under 200.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20200815-152201_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200815-152201_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 70
  • SmartSelect_20200815-152115_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200815-152115_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Top Bottom