DIY store elm contest idea...

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
So I saw this 'house plant' (lol) in a local DIY store and couldn't help myself from saving it. I've put it in my living room as you can see...
20200813_131755.jpg

Just kidding! Removed the drainless pot and it's enjoying some rain outside.
20200813_131910.jpg

Anyway... It got me thinking! We could do a crappy bonsai unrelated store bought elm contest? Something along those lines 😂 I know I've also got my s shaped elm I'd like to do something with.
PSX_20200527_135215.jpg
Just a thought - let me know if you'd be interested 😊

(sorry if this has been done before - couldn't see any threads though)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That new one is so infinity better than the other!

Score!

Mad score!

I would probably remove most of those thin shoots straight away.

I'm not saying do everything as Here, bet there probably some useful information on keeping that section of multiple emerging shoots from swelling.

Smooth sailing after that.

Nice.

Sorce

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
That new one is so infinity better than the other!

Score!

Mad score!

I would probably remove most of those thin shoots straight away.

I'm not saying do everything as Here, bet there probably some useful information on keeping that section of multiple emerging shoots from swelling.

Smooth sailing after that.

Nice.

Sorce

Oh absolutely, so much better! (The other I will probably layer at some point, I do kind of love it though as it got me into this great hobby!)

Yes it definitely needs a prune, will be doing that when the rain settles. The foliage is very healthy, my guess is that it's not been inside for long. Also draining surprisingly well, think it'll be fine until spring in that pot.

I'm working my way through that thread...thanks for directing me to it - looks like it'll be a huge help 👍 👍 Yeah I'll need to reduce to two branches at some point for sure.

Quite excited about this one actually, and a plus that I saved it for an almost inevitable death by indoors!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I think you might be able to get away with more than 2.

I try to pay attention to the actual nodes that branches once came from. Usually, no matter how close the nodes were, if the 3 or four branches in fact all came from a different node, due to the internal plumbing, they usually won't create inverse taper beyond acceptable.

Of course, elms are known to bid from all around the cambium circle of a cut branch. Which looks like what happened here, that IS the beginning of a traditional broom so.....

Don't get to scissor antsy yet!

I only recommend removing those mostly energy sapping thin shoots, because the others are not too big yet, so as we "cut back to finer branching", those thicker ones are still fine enough.

Of course, this is only because it seems the absolute fastest route. Which doesn't always have to be.

Sorce

canadianlights

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So I saw this 'house plant' (lol) in a local DIY store and couldn't help myself from saving it.

It's funny to see how the tree is labelled as a zelkova, definitely looks like a Chinese elm to me :)

Anyway... It got me thinking! We could do a crappy bonsai unrelated store bought elm contest? Something along those lines 😂 I know I've also got my s shaped elm I'd like to do something with.

Also, isn't it crazy how fast our tastes in bonsai change as we learn more about the hobby! I have an S-shaped ficus that I thought was top shit when I got it, but every passing day, I started to like it less and less... now I feel bad I paid that much for that ficus when I could have gotten much better material! Looking at your old posts Clorgan, I feel like you've went through the same "bonsai metamorphosis".

I would love to be a part of this contest, but is it limited to elms or can it be any generic mall-sai?

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I think you might be able to get away with more than 2.

I try to pay attention to the actual nodes that branches once came from. Usually, no matter how close the nodes were, if the 3 or four branches in fact all came from a different node, due to the internal plumbing, they usually won't create inverse taper beyond acceptable.

Of course, elms are known to bid from all around the cambium circle of a cut branch. Which looks like what happened here, that IS the beginning of a traditional broom so.....

Don't get to scissor antsy yet!

I only recommend removing those mostly energy sapping thin shoots, because the others are not too big yet, so as we "cut back to finer branching", those thicker ones are still fine enough.

Of course, this is only because it seems the absolute fastest route. Which doesn't always have to be.

Sorce

Good points about the nodes and fine branches - appreciate the info!

Absolutely not doing more than removing new shoots for now 😊

That other thread is great by the way - so much detailed and useful info

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
It's funny to see how the tree is labelled as a zelkova, definitely looks like a Chinese elm to me :)

Also, isn't it crazy how fast our tastes in bonsai change as we learn more about the hobby! I have an S-shaped ficus that I thought was top shit when I got it, but every passing day, I started to like it less and less... now I feel bad I paid that much for that ficus when I could have gotten much better material! Looking at your old posts Clorgan, I feel like you've went through the same "bonsai metamorphosis".

I would love to be a part of this contest, but is it limited to elms or can it be any generic mall-sai?

Yeah I'm no expert but to me it looks like a Chinese elm!

You're absolutely right on that one! I think a few weeks after getting my s shaped elm I realised that it's not all that...luckily it was really cheap. I think we newbies just get so excited to get started that the in-depth research and learning come after the first purchase, rather than before.

Great stuff!! I suppose it could be other species too? I only suggested Chinese elm because they seem to be very popular, and I wasn't sure whether certain species would give an advantage? I really don't mind though to be honest, I'm sure others will have more thoughts on this, if they're interested 😊

What would you be thinking of using?

canadianlights

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Great stuff!! I suppose it could be other species too? I only suggested Chinese elm because they seem to be very popular, and I wasn't sure whether certain species would give an advantage? I really don't mind though to be honest, I'm sure others will have more thoughts on this, if they're interested 😊

What would you be thinking of using?

Off the top of my head, I would say the top mallsai come down to ficus, Chinese elm, and juniper procumbens nana. Those are always the ones with rocks glued to the top and some cheeky stone that says "love" or "inspire" on it! However, these are all different trees with different techniques, so the contest might not seem unified. I'm curious to see what can be done with those junipers that are essentially a bent whip and sold for $30!

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I would say the top mallsai come down to ficus, Chinese elm, and juniper procumbens nana. Those are always the ones with rocks glued to the top and some cheeky stone that says "love" or "inspire" on it! However, these are all different trees with different techniques, so the contest might not seem unified. I'm curious to see what can be done with those junipers that are essentially a bent whip and sold for $30!

Haha gotta love those cheeky stones, everyone needs a gentle nudge to remind them to love and inspire 😂

Mmm maybe there could be categories? It would be shame to limit to one species, but like you say I think it'd be difficult to judge a ficus and juniper together?

canadianlights

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Haha gotta love those cheeky stones, everyone needs a gentle nudge to remind them to love and inspire 😂

Mmm maybe there could be categories? It would be shame to limit to one species, but like you say I think it'd be difficult to judge a ficus and juniper together?

Categories would be good but I'm not sure exactly how things work for contests! Whatever it is, I'm sure I'll find something to use in order to participate. It seems like the only bonsai I have access to in this area as big box store bonsai! I'm curious to see what the other members of BNut think.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just a thought - let me know if you'd be interested 😊
(sorry if this has been done before - couldn't see any threads though)
As a newbie I'm always in for a contest. But these are already "prepared". I guess it will be difficult to qualify which tree can participate or not.
But, maybe an Elm/Zelkova cutting contest would be nice. Everyone starts from a cutting, so everyone starts at the same level.... just an idea

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Categories would be good but I'm not sure exactly how things work for contests! Whatever it is, I'm sure I'll find something to use in order to participate. It seems like the only bonsai I have access to in this area as big box store bonsai! I'm curious to see what the other members of BNut think.
Me neither to be honest, @Bonsai Nut hope you don't mind be bring you into this for suggestions? 😊

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
As a newbie I'm always in for a contest. But these are already "prepared". I guess it will be difficult to qualify which tree can participate or not.
But, maybe an Elm/Zelkova cutting contest would be nice. Everyone starts from a cutting, so everyone starts at the same level.... just an idea
That's true. Hopefully others will have ideas. Just thought it'd be nice to turn a 'lost cause' into something of a much higher standard! No worries if this idea doesn't work, I'll enjoy my new elm anyway 😊

canadianlights

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

There's an idea! But it kind of takes away from the original purpose of this contest, which I presume is to rescue a big box store tree that most likely won't survive for too long! Using a cutting would be more like just a generic tree kind of contest.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's true. Hopefully others will have ideas. Just thought it'd be nice to turn a 'lost cause' into something of a much higher standard! No worries if this idea doesn't work, I'll enjoy my new elm anyway 😊
Who will decide when your elm is a lost cause? On this forum I already saw many so called lost cause trees to transform in a nice plant in a pot ;)

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Who will decide when your elm is a lost cause? On this forum I already saw many so called lost cause trees to transform in a nice plant in a pot ;)

Haha! Well I think most of the 'bonsai' I've seen in these sorts of stores (whether they're S shaped, sticks in pots, or just not that good) are a long way from being show worthy... Maybe that's the idea? Take something that is just a bit naff and make it show worthy?

To me you just know the sorts of plants I'm referring to, the ones that come in cheap bonsai pots, am I wrong?

Top Bottom