DIY wooden benches for garden

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Went down to the local mill to get some 2x4's cut. I live in a small town and there is no industrial grade lumber available nearby. I used 180cm long 1x4's for the top of these tables, and 2x4's for the bottom of the table. I put 5 or 3 2x4's horizontally under the tables based on the width, then i put two 2x4's underneath the table vertically for support. The goal was to be able to sit a wide structure ontop of red bricks, which are more narrow than cinder blocks. One my plants pot is 50cm wide, so i needed a wide table for a few of my bigger trees. Here is the result. I put a coat of varnish on each side of these, and two coats on the top of the table, before placing plants on the table. The smaller benches are training benches.

IMG_0798.JPGIMG_0802.JPGIMG_0841.JPGIMG_0862.JPGIMG_0865.JPGIMG_0866.JPG

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice I like the simple design. You should put your location. And usda zone in your bio . So people can get a better idea of helping you with questions . For benches I have a situation. Where I chase the sun around my yard . So I make several light tables that are simple to move . But are made of lighter wood therefore they don’t last as long . ( winter project this year to make more ) I have found I forget the varnish or stain unless you want the look I use a water repellent wood protection product once a year . And just naturally age the wood . This also has the advantage of spraying the bench with insecticide. And or dormant spray . Allowing it to soak in to the wood . As a bug discouragement . Like your set up I like the rough lumber look . More a natural look . Compared to a polished more man made surface

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work.

Be wary of wind though. Small support in the middle means a gust of wind can lead to disasters.

Top Bottom