DIY - Yet Another PVC Wire Caddy

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
IMG_1401.JPG Just kidding, but the bucket works really well also but it wouldn't fit on the shelf which was the only space left for my wire.

Looking to tinker, I decided to make a wire caddy. I like the wood spool cabinet types, but the thought of sanding wood also made me think otherwise. I was also feeling lazy and didn't want to make any spool.

I just happened to have some 2" PVC and found some cheap toliet floor flanges similar to this:
IMG_1237.PNG

I built this to fit my wire which is mostly small aluminum spools and straight pieces of copper that I annealed. The trick is finding a way to hold the spools together. I used screw on PVC caps that tighten the spools, but you have to cut the pipe exactly and then you are limited to a fixed number of spools. Some spools are turned to accommodate thicker rolls, but again the PVC length controls the configuration. The flanges have bolt holes so I added a strap, but you could also put ID tags.

This is mostly a solution in search of a problem. But feel free to comment, critique, improve it, or even rip it off and make millions!
IMG_1236.JPG
IMG_1386.JPG
IMG_1389.JPG

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you make those white caps copper looking it would be so steampunk! :)

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yes! I think it is a thread here also. It was one of the inspirations that got me thinking about PVC, but I wanted one where I could also store wire in the center.

The closet flanges were very clever. That's a neat idea.

Scott

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats such a good idea for sure! Ill def be building one. I just have two questions.. The wooden ends that slip over the pvc, how did you secure them on? And where did you get the woodent ends? Did you have to make them?
Thanks again for your time

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Duh, I was just looking at the design and noticed you secure the ends with the pvc pipe end, lol duh. So that leaves the one other question... How did you get the wooden ends? Make them or are they from something else?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Duh, I was just looking at the design and noticed you secure the ends with the pvc pipe end, lol duh. So that leaves the one other question... How did you get the wooden ends? Make them or are they from something else?

How much wire you thinking of my friend? Most use 3 sizes, 5 max... That tote works, no assembly required :p

Grimmy

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They were just 1x6" common pine cut with handheld jigsaw. The flaw in the design is using the PVC caps to hold the wood ends tight. It means you have to cut down the PVC exactly right (or dozens of times) to get the fit right. I also had to ream the outer hole portion out to get the cap to tighten enough. I thought about screwing a flange to one end, but didn't want to limit its disassembly.

Also, some rolls don't fit between one flange and I had to turn a flange around to have two facing for more space. That means that they don't inset but just butt together. You should buy your wire first to make sure they'll fit the flange diameter. This fit the wire from the big online stores.

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
O
They were just 1x6" common pine cut with handheld jigsaw. The flaw in the design is using the PVC caps to hold the wood ends tight. It means you have to cut down the PVC exactly right (or dozens of times) to get the fit right. I also had to ream the outer hole portion out to get the cap to tighten enough. I thought about screwing a flange to one end, but didn't want to limit its disassembly.

Also, some rolls don't fit between one flange and I had to turn a flange around to have two facing for more space. That means that they don't inset but just butt together. You should buy your wire first to make sure they'll fit the flange diameter. This fit the wire from the big online stores.
K thanks Hemmy. I'll look into getting the items I need to make one. Honestly it's one of the nicer holders I've see. Much appreciated

Top Bottom