Do Air Layer roots dry out the moss ball?

chance

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi All,
Newbie here, I've just started doing some air layers this spring and have started harvesting a few of them over the past few weeks. Now, I've got a chicken and the egg type question about them.

One thing I've noticed in my air layers that have taken (and put out roots) is that the moss ball is super dry, and my ones that haven't are still quite wet. Is that just because those roots are working and pulling water out of the moss ball? Or alternately did those work because they were dryer and the soggy ones are too wet and that's why they haven't taken? To state it more simply, did they work becuase they were dryer or are they dry becuase they worked?

I've since poked a few drain holes in some of the wet ones that haven't taken, but I'm just looking for advice on how to increase my success rate, and whether I need to go back out and re-cut the ones that aren't taking or just be patient.

Thanks in advance for your insight and advice!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes the roots do drink up the water in the moss balls. I have experienced soggy air layers and I find that if you don’t secure the top wire/string tight enough rain water seeps in and gets caught and soaks the moss ball to the point of having to poke holes to drain excess moisture.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
To state it more simply, did they work becuase they were dryer or are they dry becuase they worked?
Great question, because the answer is not straightforward. Part B is likely true, but part A may also be true depending on how wet they started. When I prep the moss to put on an airlayer, I soak it, then I squeeze it out so about only 25% of the water is left in the moss - then I put it around the girdle. I also now always put some drainage holes in the bottom.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great question, because the answer is not straightforward. Part B is likely true, but part A may also be true depending on how wet they started. When I prep the moss to put on an airlayer, I soak it, then I squeeze it out so about only 25% of the water is left in the moss - then I put it around the girdle. I also now always put some drainage holes in the bottom.
I should also mention that I add water to the layers if I see them starting to dry out.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a few air layers failed due to the moss stayed too wet. Also you need to be careful and give the moss water when the air layer has roots. I don't like air layer pots because of the reasons stated. Next time I just going to use a clear plastic cup with lid. I also will just use bonsai soil instead of moss.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
One thing I've noticed in my air layers that have taken (and put out roots) is that the moss ball is super dry, and my ones that haven't are still quite wet. Is that just because those roots are working and pulling water out of the moss ball?
Roots definitely dry out the moss in layer bag.
If I leave layers on too long in dry weather and don't supply supplementary water they invariably die when there's no moisture left for the roots.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Roots definitely dry out the moss in layer bag.
If I leave layers on too long in dry weather and don't supply supplementary water they invariably die when there's no moisture left for the roots.
lost a beech raft already like that this season. I never knew it had roots until i looked deep into the moss. but it was already too dry.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I always try to form the top of my airlayer covering like a cone, so that it catches water easily - both from manual watering, or from irrigation and rain.

I also always put drain holes in the bottom (albeit small ones). You want the moss to stay moist/wet, but you don't want a pond. After a heavy rain, you need the air-layer to be able to drain.

And as everyone is pointing out, when your moss starts drying out more quickly, it is usually a sign that your airlayer is sprouting roots - even if you can't see them.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I always try to form the top of my airlayer covering like a cone, so that it catches water easily - both from manual watering, or from irrigation and rain.

I also always put drain holes in the bottom (albeit small ones). You want the moss to stay moist/wet, but you don't want a pond. After a heavy rain, you need the air-layer to be able to drain.

And as everyone is pointing out, when your moss starts drying out more quickly, it is usually a sign that your airlayer is sprouting roots - even if you can't see them.
For sure. I had a couple of these losses during the past few months i wasnt paying much attention to some plants in my alottment.
air layering is fun tho, wish i had done them earlier on in bonsai

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yes the roots do drink up the water in the moss balls. I have experienced soggy air layers and I find that if you don’t secure the top wire/string tight enough rain water seeps in and gets caught and soaks the moss ball to the point of having to poke holes to drain excess moisture.
Hmmm...
This goes the other way from my air layer practice. I often leave the top open to receive water and the bottom also open for water to drain out. The cover of the air layer I use is often designed to slow down evaporation of the water in the layer but not to keep water entirely in or out.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a big plastic syringe with a large diameter dull needle that I use to inject water when the rootball starts to dry out. Keep it moist but not wet.

Top Bottom