Do any of you use a Kaneshin water wand?

HardBall

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
OK, so I am going to eat some crow here...I got a 500mm copper Kaneshin watering wand at the beginning of April and it's pretty terrific.

Pic of my rig is below.

I got it mine from North American Satsuki Bonsai Center. NASBC also had an even larger version of the same wand, copper and less expensive chrome. I got copper, well, because I'm a sucker ;-) and like the look and feel. A friend of mine later bought the largest chrome version at the PBA show in D.C. It works just as well.

Despite the complications of installing it (more on that later) and cost ($80--shorter chrome versions can be had for $20-$30--some with built in shut off valves), I've found it to be without a doubt the best watering utensil I've ever used. The longer length allows easier watering even in hard to reach pots. That said the cheaper, more easily installed wand offered through Joshua Roth and other places remains very good and a lot less expensive. I still have mine as a back up.

I've using been the Kaneshin for a month now and have been impressed with the extremely fine flow of water that doesn't disturb or wash away bonsai soil-unless you turn the waterflow on full tilt at the faucet. The Kaneshin's rose has triple the holes or more than the Roth and IMO is far superior to any western facsimile I've used, like Haws or Dram.

Installing it, however, can be a chore. Since it has no threaded end and is jammed into the cut end of a hose, it requires some thought and additional outlay of $ (not a lot though) if it's going to work correctly. First you need an additional (sacrificial) flexible garden hose--I got a 10 foot one at Home Depot for $20, hose clamps (I used steel plumber's grade, but you could probably get away with big zip ties--but those could deteriorate in the sun over time), and a decent brass shut off valve (which run about $10, the clamps are $4 for a pack of ten).

A word on the sacrifice hose--I was tempted to pay $5 for a cheapo hose. However in looking at the type of plastic used in cheap hoses, it was obvious they weren't going to work well, since they tended to be made of less flexible plastic. Most of them also had smaller diameters. Both of those things could damage the watering wand by bending it.

You have to cut the female end of the sacrificial hose off about a foot or so from the threaded end. That leaves a foot long (you can go shorter if you choose) pigtail of a hose with a female end. I chose to install a shut off valve between the modified hose on the wand side and the male end to the actual garden hose, allowing water flow to be adjusted quickly and easily without having to kink the hose with one hand and water with the other.

After being a skeptic, I'm a convert. Should not run my mouth before actual experience...
I took your advice and ordered one from Bonsai Tonight after your glowing review. I suspect for you to make such a post you ain't just "whistling dixie." It's a shame there is not a neater solution for such a well-crafted piece of gear. I see you expounded a bit on the potential bending issue...Do you see any issues with creating a shorter pigtail? I am thinking of going as short as possible on that piece.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I took your advice and ordered one from Bonsai Tonight after your glowing review. I suspect for you to make such a post you ain't just "whistling dixie." It's a shame there is not a neater solution for such a well-crafted piece of gear. I see you expounded a bit on the potential bending issue...Do you see any issues with creating a shorter pigtail? I am thinking of going as short as possible on that piece.
I was thinking of cutting that piece down by half. I don't think I'd go shorter than that though, as there could be some pinching between the end of the wand inside the hose and the valve/metal hose fitting that could damage the wand end.

And I don't "review" things much. I was very impressed with this thing though. It's not going to dramatically alter my trees or anything. It's just a pleasure to use.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It occurs to me that you could probably cut a piece of copper pipe to the length of the cut female hose to cover it and match the wand. The hose clamp should keep the piece of pipe from sliding up the watering wand, and the female fitting should keep it from sliding down the hose.

Top Bottom