Do bonsai trees getting this expensive lately?

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
1664317256646.png
I assume 'Sold Out' means someone bought that tree at the price listed? Scratch my head, why so many think bonsai is not profitable? Looks at those JBP on the first row. I see nothing special about it. How about that cork bark in the last row.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
IDK about those trees but I would say the the prices on trees I've seen elsewhere have definitely been higher this year than in previous years. This includes both on websites and at a show I went to this year.

With prices on literally every thing going up, I can't say I am surprised.

Last edited:

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I feel like this thread is a trap.

e5a.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kick me into a snare.

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Perhaps Elon Musk just got into bonsai?

I don't particularly like when online sites keep old product in their storefront with the listing marked "sold". The only reason to do so is (1) to try to indicate that you are moving a lot of product and (2) to try to justify your prices.

Of course, if we listen to Abe Lincoln, it is just as easy to falsify a "sold" listing as it is to falsify anything else on the Internet. Not saying this is the case here, but the prices seem hard to believe.

Last edited:

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those prices are insane. Who is selling these? Is this Wigert's???
No not Wigert. Everything else also seems excessive but I was just curious if these trees can be sold at the price then how can one can't make a profit in bonsai business.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recognize the vendor. Apparently these are in the U.S. imported from Canada and are over 10 years old. It should also be noted they have been "worked" to reduce height and push interior growth for shohin-sized bonsai. I don't know if that makes them worth the asking price, but that work isn't common on most "pre bonsai" black pine and juniper of that size .

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recognize the vendor. Apparently these are in the U.S. imported from Canada and are over 10 years old. It should also be noted they have been "worked" to reduce height and push interior growth for shohin-sized bonsai. I don't know if that makes them worth the asking price, but that work isn't common on most "pre bonsai" black pine and juniper of that size .
Still, they are a crazy price for most of us here.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still, they are a crazy price for most of us here.
Well, $100 is crazy for a lot of folks here too 😁 . It's all relative. This stock is listed as "advanced" on the vendor's site, and isn't aimed at beginners. Still, the prices are high. You can probably get similar in Cali. but you'd have to make an in-person trip to bonsai nurseries out there to find it. Along with trunk reduction and interior growth, note needle size on the BP...that can take a few years to do. What I'm getting at is simply saying "wow those are stupid expensive," at least know what you're looking at...There have been posts here that more bonsai knowledgeable people should be producing better stock. well, this is an example of that. Yeah, they're expensive. 15 years in the ground apparently, to produce them, that looks to include root work and some work on the tops as well...I don't think anyone is getting rich doing this, regardless of prices.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, $100 is crazy for a lot of folks here too 😁 . It's all relative. This stock is listed as "advanced" on the vendor's site, and isn't aimed at beginners. Still, the prices are high. You can probably get similar in Cali. but you'd have to make an in-person trip to bonsai nurseries out there to find it. Along with trunk reduction and interior growth, note needle size on the BP...that can take a few years to do. What I'm getting at is simply saying "wow those are stupid expensive," at least know what you're looking at...There have been posts here that more bonsai knowledgeable people should be producing better stock. well, this is an example of that. Yeah, they're expensive. 15 years in the ground apparently, to produce them, that looks to include root work and some work on the tops as well...I don't think anyone is getting rich doing this, regardless of prices.
I wasn't responding specifically to Penumbra BTW. Hope it didn't come across that way.

Neo_Rokkenjima

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Whoa what's with the shade? They still sell BRTs and Chinese elms for 25 bucks.

No shade at all-- I love Wigerts! That said, I don't know of any more expensive online vendors than them, and these sorts of prices are pretty usual for their bonsai/ pre-bonsai. Doesn't look like their website though.

Top Bottom