Do established bonsai guidelines stifle creativity?

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As I learn more (and read more) about bonsai I notice that there are several rules or guidelines in the presentation of bonsai materials. This makes me wonder if these rules have advanced creativity or stifled it. Imagine if literati had never been a part of bonsai culture. Then along comes someone with a perfect tree that is long, skinny and exceedingly bent but there is no accepted class for this structure of tree. Since there is hypothetically no class or venue in bonsai for this tree it is considered not true bonsai. I’m just curious as to what people think.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I believe that true creativity stems from a deep knowledge of rules and traditions. When you look at the work of truly innovative artists, like Leonardo, Picasso and so forth, their art is powerful because it is a departure from tradition that can only be made sense of within that same tradition. I think the same applies to bonsai. Innovative artists, those looking for their own aesthetics, such as Walter Pall, for example, know the rules well enough as to break them in a sensible (that is, that it makes sense) manner.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You used the word guidelines, in stead of rules or laws. They only stifle creativity if you pay attention to them.

I try to learn the "rules", so I can deliberately break them. In other words, the better you understand the why for the rules, the better you will understand why you should at times break the rules.

The Japanese aesthetic is a "complete" aesthetic, internally coherent. There is enough literature in English written, that one can rely on it as a set of guidelines, and can know when to throw the guidelines out.

Guidelines are most useful when you are not sure what the composition needs, they provide a checklist for analysis.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I believe that true creativity stems from a deep knowledge of rules and traditions. When you look at the work of truly innovative artists, like Leonardo, Picasso and so forth, their art is powerful because it is a departure from tradition that can only be made sense of within that same tradition. I think the same applies to bonsai. Innovative artists, those looking for their own aesthetics, such as Walter Pall, for example, know the rules well enough as to break them in a sensible (that is, that it makes sense) manner.
Nicely worded. Understandable. And I like that you put it all together in a brief paragraph...staying focused on the creative angle.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As I learn more (and read more) about bonsai I notice that there are several rules or guidelines in the presentation of bonsai materials. This makes me wonder if these rules have advanced creativity or stifled it. Imagine if literati had never been a part of bonsai culture. Then along comes someone with a perfect tree that is long, skinny and exceedingly bent but there is no accepted class for this structure of tree. Since there is hypothetically no class or venue in bonsai for this tree it is considered not true bonsai. I’m just curious as to what people think.
The guidelines or commonly accepted practise become more important If you wish to display or show your trees. I think it is very valuable to be thoroughly grounded in the " rules " in order to extend ones personal boundaries of creativity.
This question comes up in all walks of life. When i was in Italy i was astounded by what appeared to be haphazard driving practices. I asked our guide and he laughed. He said " there are rules of course, but the Italians consider them to be merely suggestions" .
I really appreciated that approach, however it sometimes involves a consequence.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The rules/guidelines incorporate time tested methods to create trees that look like bonsai. They also reflect natural “laws” that govern how plants grow. By natural “laws” I mean what you see in your mind’s eye. If it doesn’t look right in your mind’s eye then you may never be satisfied. So if you want your trees to look like bonsai or to look like natural trees then the rules/guidelines are a good way to start. Then experiment to allow your creativity to flow. At least the rules/guidelines give you a place to start instead of flailing about trying to figure out what others have already discovered hundreds of years ago—nothing like rediscovering the wheel.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’m just curious as to what people think.
You're asking a question that can be applied to to all art forms. The answer, I think, is that the "rules" will only stifle the creativity of those who choose to be bound by them.

Maybe, one could make better art by choosing to forego the rules. With that comes the risk of not being "appreciated," but then again, most great artists die in obscurity.

I would also argue that what makes an artist great is not just knowing when to break rules, but also the act of creating works that establish new rules. Cubism isn't just about straight lines. Jackson Pollock's splatters are far from random. Da Vinci saw God in the mind of Man.

So, to turn the question around: why are you concerned about being held back by the "rules?" Are they too much to learn/execute? Have you created what you feel is a great work that broke them? How would you know?

This is all, of course, without getting into my opinions of folks who allow their interpretation of the rules to close their minds to beautiful works. That can be another thread.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well said...
I agree 100%.

Knowing the rules makes you better....experience makes you able to bend them properly

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure what guidelines.

[1] Those for shaping the tree - bending branches, thickening trunk.................

[2] Or those that apply to Design

Good Day
Anthony

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Remember a tree to survive can take on any shape.

We apply our values to the shape, and as time passes, tastes change.

Da Vinci or Picasso.
Painting speaks for itself or talk a painting.
Good Day
Anthony

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You're asking a question that can be applied to to all art forms. The answer, I think, is that the "rules" will only stifle the creativity of those who choose to be bound by them.

Maybe, one could make better art by choosing to forego the rules. With that comes the risk of not being "appreciated," but then again, most great artists die in obscurity.

I would also argue that what makes an artist great is not just knowing when to break rules, but also the act of creating works that establish new rules. Cubism isn't just about straight lines. Jackson Pollock's splatters are far from random. Da Vinci saw God in the mind of Man.

So, to turn the question around: why are you concerned about being held back by the "rules?" Are they too much to learn/execute? Have you created what you feel is a great work that broke them? How would you know?

This is all, of course, without getting into my opinions of folks who allow their interpretation of the rules to close their minds to beautiful works. That can be another thread.

My original post came from two directions. First, I hated the Literati form the first time I saw it. Now it is one of my favorites. After getting to understand it I see it as a show of a trees strength to survive. A true form of victory. Second, I notice a distinct lack of variety in most trees. I don’t consider this a bad thing, I just wanted to get input from those with far more experience to see what they think. So far I am getting great feedback.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not sure what guidelines.

[1] Those for shaping the tree - bending branches, thickening trunk.................

[2] Or those that apply to Design

Good Day
Anthony

Anthony, I was thinking mainly along the lines of form identification such as cascade or wind swept. I believe every tree I have seen in shows (videos) has fallen into a particular class or form.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score

That is so true but it is not the whole story. Those art shows (of any kind) which are juried and also have a people's choice award almost always produce a difference of opinion. One could argue that appealing to everyman is as good a measure of success as appealing to the experts

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is so true but it is not the whole story. Those art shows (of any kind) which are juried and also have a people's choice award almost always produce a difference of opinion. One could argue that appealing to everyman is as good a measure of success as appealing to the experts
Even so-called everymen live within a given cultural tradition

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
presentation of bonsai materials.

"Materials", here, I'm reading as entire display. True?

I believe Literati came before what we except as "the rules". To nitpick.

I consider Japanese Display 100%.

I've seen nice, purposefully and thoughtfully displayed "Americanized" displays that were also 100%.

With Scrolls and Companion plants and Shohin Boxes and 3 point displays...5 point displays..etc etc...we have plenty to create with.

It doesn't matter what country the Bonsai is displayed. These fundamental parts of the story are something we take for granted as the artist of the trees we work so hard on.
As the story is already in our minds, planned 10 years prior!

We must remember we utilize these elements of display for other viewers.

And so long as they are appropriately proportioned, placed and used, there really is no end to what we can create with this Volcanic Rock Solid Japanese Foundation of display.

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
"Materials", here, I'm reading as entire display. True?

I believe Literati came before what we except as "the rules". To nitpick.

I consider Japanese Display 100%.

I've seen nice, purposefully and thoughtfully displayed "Americanized" displays that were also 100%.

With Scrolls and Companion plants and Shohin Boxes and 3 point displays...5 point displays..etc etc...we have plenty to create with.

It doesn't matter what country the Bonsai is displayed. These fundamental parts of the story are something we take for granted as the artist of the trees we work so hard on.
As the story is already in our minds, planned 10 years prior!

We must remember we utilize these elements of display for other viewers.

And so long as they are appropriately proportioned, placed and used, there really is no end to what we can create with this Volcanic Rock Solid Japanese Foundation of display.

Sorce
That's kind of deep for you, man. Totally coherent.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Everyone has their own agenda. Some like to exhibit, some do it for their own personal enjoyment. Creativity can only be stifled, if you allow it to be.

Top Bottom