do fabians make good bonsais?

Squeaker

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I bought a Fabian plant/tree type thing. I don't know much about it, but I've read they grow slowly, so I thought it might make a good bonsai because it won't outgrow the pot too quickly.

Anyone ever grown a Fabian as a bonsai???

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Is this a tree that gradually becomes a bonsai, but really seems to have taken off over the last 4 years?
:rolleyes:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I give up. WHAT is a "fabian?"

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Google turned up 'polyscias' a house plant.

All things being equal, I think I'd rather train a jade.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have one and want to work on it as bonsai, give it a shot. If your asking about purchasing one, I'd go with things a little more common. There might be a reason most of us have never seen a fabian bonsai??

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For an Aralia to work as bonsai [ can we dispense with the Fabian ] you have to get the thread leaf type and a very old stump.

It will make a beautiful bonsai, but requires a good deal of design work. Easy shrub to grow in the tropics, lots of sun and just enough water.
Not demanding.
Good Day.
Anthony

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow! It shows how old I am. Fabian was a singer.

In my opinion, if you want to try something as a bonsai and you are comfortable with it, go for it. What is the worst that can happen? This is not something that everyone will agree upon. But someoone had to be the first to try a herb.

Best of luck.

Joe DeS

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know. The hair is a bit problematic ;)

Fabian...

Attachments

• fabian.jpg
    fabian.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 5

Squeaker

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
For an Aralia to work as bonsai [ can we dispense with the Fabian ] you have to get the thread leaf type and a very old stump.

It will make a beautiful bonsai, but requires a good deal of design work. Easy shrub to grow in the tropics, lots of sun and just enough water.
Not demanding.
Good Day.
Anthony

Thank you, I'm not sure how old my stump is. I just saw it and thought it looked so unique, so it came home with me :)

Hypothetically, if you were to train an arelia (sp?) what method would you go for?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you, I'm not sure how old my stump is. I just saw it and thought it looked so unique, so it came home with me :)

Hypothetically, if you were to train an arelia (sp?) what method would you go for?

Much better to post a pic to narrow down options (to probably a percent).

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Do Aralia branch? Doesn't seem to me like it'd make a very convincing bonsai.

Squeaker

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Im having an issue posting pix for some reason right now, but here's a pic of what they look likehttp://venturestropicals.com/images/plants/small/Aralia-Fabian.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Still won't show us what your plant looks like...its shape, size, characteristic, etc. Until you find a way to post pics...I am sorry but I won't waste both your time and mine coming up with any suggestion(s). Maybe others will.

Good luck!

Squeaker

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you Anthony. I'm kicking myself right now, cause I saw an arilia with leaves like the one you posted and I decided to go with a different one instead *gaahhh* o well. I'll just enjoy it as a nice plant :)

Reaction score
Still won't show us what your plant looks like...its shape, size, characteristic, etc. Until you find a way to post pics...I am sorry but I won't waste both your time and mine coming up with any suggestion(s). Maybe others will.

Good luck!

but we're always wasting time :p

is this the same plant at bonsaiboy??

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reaction score
Yeah but I get to choose how I waste mine. ;) LOL

i picture the tree having a very heavy buttressing trunk with little shoots springing out all over it

i know what you mean i typically dont waste time with punctuation or capital letters
makes me look stupid but oh well

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I have a few little aralias (different species, but same idea) and consider them more to be house plants than bonsai, since they don't easily branch. Nothing wrong with that in my book. They're neat plants.

Jim Smith had some big ones in his greenhouse. I think you could make a convincing group/forest planting out of them.

Cuttings root pretty easily. Mine don't like the cold at all.

Have fun.

Top Bottom