Do I pluck needles from Japanese Red Pine?

aredsfan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I ordered this seedling back in the spring. In mid July I clipped the candle, and got alot of back budding. Now do I still need to pluck the old needles, and if so when? andy

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Red pine can be treated much like JBP, but your tree is quite a ways away from needing that kind of care. Just let it grow now, you have a lot of new branches started, but it just needs to grow out now.

-Darrell

aredsfan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so they don't need to be plucked to allow more light in? That comes as the tree gets bigger?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darrell is correct. Aside from your first candle cut, you won't be doing much candling for a while, either. I would wire this one to get some movement in the trunk. You can do that best in Feb. or March before it gets too active.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey Andy - is that growing in pure pine or fir bark? How's that working out? Seems to be in cute little pond baskets too. Cool.

aredsfan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I took and just pot slipped it into the pond basket. I have a small pond and some sitting around. Its a mixture of pine bark, and lava rock, with its original soil. I have all of 5 of my trees in the pond baskets. Seems to be doing well. We will see how it does through the winter. Im going to mulch around it. andy

Top Bottom