Do I remove this moss on my bark? Is it moss? (Black Pine)

matcha_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
This moss is on the backside of the trunk where it's covered in shade. Should I remove this from the bark? I kinda like the look of it but if it's a problem I want to get rid of it...

Also, why is the moss on the top part of the trunk grayish color? Is it dead? Is it not moss?

IMG_20200420_151402.jpg IMG_20200420_151428.jpg IMG_20200420_151510.jpg IMG_20200420_151638_1.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's lychen. Not entirely moss, not entirely fungus, not entirely algae, but a mix of those.
They don't do much harm. All things considered, they do degrade bark, but less than 0.4mm a year in a good year. The tree adds more than that in a month.

matcha_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
But, I have seen these flying insects feeding on them. Forgot to mention that. Maybe fungus gnats?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I prefer to clean Lychen the dry grey color growth and moss the green growth off early on before bark impacts. Some say the Lychen adds a sense of age. Some say leave it alone. To me it looks like neglect. Lychen growth multiples rapidly and then one day it seems all over the tree...in hard to reach areas. I remove Lychen with a toothbrush, brass brush or a nylon brush. The mossy growth I remove with a toothbrush while brushing with a mix of white vinegar and water. I prefer the clean natural bark coloration.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lichen is a composite organism; a symbiosis between fungi and algae and/or bacteria. Lichen come in many shapes, sizes and colors depending on the types of fungi, algae and bacteria present. Reindeer moss that many people are familiar with is actually a lichen.

In regard to bonsai, lichen that protrude from the surface of the bark are generally frowned upon, whereas lichen that grow only on the surface of bark is often desirable, adding an aged appearance.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
But, I have seen these flying insects feeding on them. Forgot to mention that. Maybe fungus gnats?
I can imagine bees and other nest builders chomping them down for building materials.. But gnats usually go for stuff that's already degraded.
Maybe they're sucking the moisture out of it or something. I don't know about any insects feeding off of lichen to be honest.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Vinegar on a toothbrush. Just don’t get any on the soil.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Vinegar on a toothbrush. Just don’t get any on the soil.
I’ve never had a problem with vinegar on the substrate. I don’t soak a substrate with it....but a small amount dripped or run down has not caused issues. All my trees are deciduous ...perhaps pine is different regarding vinegar.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I’ve never had a problem with vinegar on the substrate. I don’t soak a substrate with it....but a small amount dripped or run down has not caused issues. All my trees are deciduous ...perhaps pine is different regarding vinegar.

Its much better to tell someone that has no idea “dont let any get into the soil” than “its ok to let some get into the soil” because “some” or “a little” means different things to different people.
“ none” is the same to everyone.
I am glad that you specifically haven't had problems with it tricking down into the roots, but that doesnt mean its A good practice To get pure vinegar into your substrate.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Its much better to tell someone that has no idea “dont let any get into the soil” than “its ok to let some get into the soil” because “some” or “a little” means different things to different people.
“ none” is the same to everyone.
I am glad that you specifically haven't had problems with it tricking down into the roots, but that doesnt mean its A good practice To get pure vinegar into your substrate.
I agree. Covering the substrate is a good practice.

Top Bottom