Do Jacaranda and Albizia Julibrissin arequire a Dormant Period?

RVMcC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Jacaranda and 2 Albizia Julibrissins that I grew from seed in the spring of 2020. Last winter I had them in my winter grow box with average 80f temperature under led grow lights. They survived but didn’t grow over the winter. They were also slow to push new growth once they were outside. They did grow vigorously from July till now.

I’m thinking that maybe they didn’t grow well during last winter and were slow this spring because they needed dormancy to recharge their energy levels.

Does anyone know if they need a dormant period or not?

Thanks 😊

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe a "dormant period" is not something that is provided, but something that describes the tree's growth habits. You can care for a deciduous and an evergreen in exactly the same way, but one will undergo dormancy and the other will not. It's an explanation of growth, not an event or condition that needs to be provided.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here in the tropics mine lose their leaves every year. It gets down in the 40's every year, there is a lot less light, less rain and humidity. But I'm sure they would survive if it was warmer.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had a Mimosa for a couple years in my greenhouse and decided that they needed the rest. It's in the landscape and died to the ground the first winter, but now 3 years later is 12 feet high and twice the diameter. The leaves are wonderful and very tropical and too big for ordinary bonsai, maybe a big one down south. I'm bringing along a Honey Locust which adapt much better to bonsai size.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Jaracanda does not require a dormant period, and you have to protect it from temperatures below 40 degrees. I bring my ficus indoor as soon as we get temperatures that dip into the '40s, and my friend brings his flamboyant (Delonix poinciana) into his garage around the same time. In the tropics (where temps don't go below '70s) they don't lose their leaves.

Top Bottom