Do people chronicle their work?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This post at IBC....

This is the kind of post that makes me get all goose pimply. I love to see work posted where something very much less than perfect was molded and shaped into something very beautiful.

Does anyone here have any long term projects that show such a marvelous transformation?

Cheers, Al

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Love it!! Wish there were more. Hopefully I can start one of my own soon. Thanks Smoke!

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Wow! That's the sort of transformation that stops you in your tracks. Thanks for posting it, Al.

Yes, I've got some records too, but nothing to compare with that. Give me a few more years, maybe. :)

GOZTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow how is that even possible. I have lots of trees that need somehting like that as most of my trees are straight.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I've got some records too, but nothing to compare with that. Give me a few more years, maybe. :)

That makes two of us! I got records and in a few years......a big MAYBE for me:D

eric

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I do Al, take pix when the camera isn't broken, keep records on each tree, (where when, how much, pot, soil, etc.) and one of these days when I have a working pc, and net conn. at the same time at home, I'll stick some of them out there for you. I will say though, you will be a tough act to follow. we, I anyway do appreciate the work you do to post your trees.
Thanks.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ever since I started I've been encouraged to do so, read about how it can be a great thing to do ......and besides, it really makes sense to me to do so. Through photos, sketches and notes I've been documenting the progress of specific trees (some may not thinks its progress) ........the transformations aren't up to Pavel's standards but I have tamed a few straight mountain hemlocks.
Cheers Graham

sfhellwig

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I try to keep as many pictures as I can. I am still inside of my first few years. I keep telling myself I am going to sit down and write a backlog while I can still remember what I have done. I don't have anything too in depth to document so far.

Not to hijack the thread but I'll be the one to ask. Any resources on trunk bending like that? I understand that the contortions are not possible without the bending but without separating the heartwood I don't see it happening. I understand the concept of branch splitting to level a heavy branch but wonder if the technique is related.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I keep a binder with pictures, seasonal info, work done as well as future intentions. I also keep notes when Ted Matson gives me advice on a tree. It helps me to understand my trees as well as showing me the visual progress i have made. Sometimes I include a vert.

There is a section called RIP. This is where I put the notes on trees that died. I try to figure out what might have gone wrong. I review this section sometimes so I don't repeat a mistake

The binder also has meeting and workshop notes, docs created from BT posts on certain topics, and a section for my pots and stones.

The front has my To Do section where I keep myself on track with plans by season. I add to these lists all the time.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
.... I also keep notes when Ted Matson gives me advice on a tree. It helps me to understand my trees as well as showing me the visual progress i have made. Sometimes I include a virt...

There is a section called RIP. This is where I put the notes on trees that died. I try to figure out what might have gone wrong. I review this section sometimes so I don't repeat a mistake

Your system sounds effective and userfriendly, Yamadori. Thumbs up! You've got me thinking about some tweaks to my own records, which aren't as complete, I'm afraid.

I have some logs I set up in Microsoft Works Database. My "RIP" is called "No Longer With Me." This is very valuable for avoiding repeats of mistakes. LISTEN TO HIM ON THIS ONE, PEOPLE!

My main record-keeping is by pictures -- with date stamp and sometimes notes -- and an application called OT2, developed in France but available in English. I can recommend it: it's quite complete (tho I can think of one or two additions I'd like to see, but they're minor,) and customizable. I've had no conflicts at all with my OS, which is Windows XP Pro. There's also a version for an Apple OS.

Gotta take my daughter to school in a few minutes. When I get back, I'll try to find a link to OT2. (Why is it called that? I have no idea. Maybe it's an acronym in French.)

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CNET - "In addition to the missing help guide, the program suffers from a bug on an important feature. On our test machines, saving added images is disabled since the Add Picture Tab had a nonfunctioning Accept button. We also found the list of pots in the main window unreadable. This freeware program is simple and fills a niche need, but content-management systems are everywhere. We think users would find a better CMS elsewhere to manage their bonsai-tree collection."

Doesn't sound like much of an endorsement.

:confused:

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Please note when that review was written: 2006. I have never had any problem with adding pictures, singly or in batches; nor do I have any problem with the list of pots.

I think that must have been an earlier version that was tested.

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also use OT2 for my record keeping and photos. I also keep additional photos that I do not add to OT2.

OT2 lacks reports or the ability to print out a "catalog" of a collection. However the underlying data can be read by sql_lite or even FireFox with its SQL plug in. I am currently working on a way to print a catalog complete with notes and photos. So far I have been able to get the data into a Microsoft Access database and use it for creating my catalog. A bit clumsy but it does allow me to use OT2 for data entry and on-screen viewing plus having a printed catalog.

Frank

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So I hear people talk about OT2 all the time and usually with a sound that seems somewhat full of "acceptance". As someone who writes software for a living I am always thinking that maybe I should do something about that... something more portable and user friendly... the thing for me is that it seems like these things are always full of tons of features no one needs... and that's a shame.

would anyone be interested in something simpler.. with fewer features... that *just* worked. If so ... what would be the simplest number of features people think would be required to have something that offered value?

feel free to PM me with ideas and thoughts if it all seems reasonable I might just be inclined to do something about it. no promises.... but side projects are always welcome for me.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
So I hear people talk about OT2 all the time and usually with a sound that seems somewhat full of "acceptance". As someone who writes software for a living I am always thinking that maybe I should do something about that... something more portable and user friendly... the thing for me is that it seems like these things are always full of tons of features no one needs... and that's a shame.

would anyone be interested in something simpler.. with fewer features... that *just* worked. If so ... what would be the simplest number of features people think would be required to have something that offered value?

feel free to PM me with ideas and thoughts if it all seems reasonable I might just be inclined to do something about it. no promises.... but side projects are always welcome for me.
I like that idea!!!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Yes, could you write me a program for a CNC bonsai pruner/styler. Thanks...send it with Santa!

Top Bottom