Do Pine Bonsai produce Pinecones

Bonsaithusiast

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really want to know if Bonsai Pines can grow Pinecones because im hoping to get a pine from a friend coming over visit me because there is simply no needle leaf style pine trees around me whatsoever( ive seen them hours away from where i live) but never had the chance to climb up a desired pine tree and takes its cones for the fresh seeds. so if this pine seedling grows to be a nice tree and healthy, will it be able to produce pine cones for more seeds i can grow.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes they can but you generally don't want them to spend the energy doing that and we cut them off before they get too big.

Also just because it has a cone, does not mean the seeds are good. If they are parentage can be questionable

Bonsaithusiast

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes they can but you generally don't want them to spend the energy doing that and we cut them off before they get too big.

Also just because it has a cone, does not mean the seeds are good. If they are parentage can be questionable
ah i see, i guess itll just be best to keep trying and find some more ways of getting ahold of pines trees.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
However consider well that same people hating conifer fruit think just fine to epend energy on covering amounts of flowers or deciduous fruit so consider hypocrisy and make own decision. Personally very much desire cones on personal pines if can protect from Squirrel🤔.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I find it is more about growth. Female cones start at the tip of last year's shoots. That means in order to even have female cones we need to stop pruning for an entire year which can leave the tree well out of shape.
After that, fertilised cones take another 18 months to mature which means the tree is way out of shape for around 3 years in order to develop a ripe cone.
Occasionally a cone will emerge on a shorter candle which won't upset the shape too much but by far the most cones come on the stronger shoots.
After all that there's no guarantees that the cones were fertilized and will have viable seeds inside.

I would certainly be looking for alternative sources if seed is the aim.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As stated above, cones are usually eliminated by pruning in the course of things.
I do not adhere to the belief that normal cone production in any way is detrimental to the developing tree. We struggle mightily to produce flowers and fruits on many bonsai. Unless there is another ongoing situation that robs the plant of its vitality, the production of fruits and flowers enhances our enjoyment while fulfilling the plants expectations. There are of course varying situations that therefore necessitate a judgment call which places this questionable procedure in the "it depends" category.
My answers as always, are based upon the premise that the plant "cares", which I believe it does.

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
Some pine varieties are much more productive than others. This extends to all conifers I think: some of the witches-broom types with mature foliage (vs. immature foliage of like dwarf Alberta spruce) set tons of cones.

At least with pines, it could be worthwhile growing seedlings from these brooms, although the fertility is probably rather low. Most of the Pinus strobus varieties came from either brooms or seedlings of witches-brooms. Zuisho pine was found similarly iirc.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I do not adhere to the belief that normal cone production in any way is detrimental to the developing tree. We struggle mightily to produce flowers and fruits on many bonsai. Unless there is another ongoing situation that robs the plant of its vitality, the production of fruits and flowers enhances our enjoyment while fulfilling the plants expectations.
I think I did the math once, and a cone.. When it comes to carbon investment and total protein weight, can be compared to two shoots in "production costs" for the plant. Since it starts out green, it returns some of the investment by chlorophyll being present, but that chlorophyll fades and is less productive than foliage. So all things considered, it's comparable to the production of one long shoot.
If we take shoot pruning into the equation, a single cone on a plant with more than 8 shoots is not that much of a loss.. At least, no more of a loss than it is to cut 2 shoots off at most. Now sure, the math shows that if you cut all 8 shoots, the plant is at a "-2 shoots" energy state. But if a plant can't handle that, we shouldn't be cutting shoots either.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I leave the pinecones. I like the look of them and I figure if it takes energy from the tree then I will get shorter needles, which is what we are after anyway 😁

Top Bottom