Do pines bud back from internodes?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dont know pines well. I saw one that was maybe 1.6m tall and the space between its whorls was up to 50cm. Pinus sylvestris I believe.

But I think they can grow branches from all those goosebumps?

So internodes are not a concern on Pines?

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Pines can grow from internodes as well as needle buds. Leave some needles alone (that is, don't pluck some of them) on a vigorous branch and the needle bud is more likely to grow. Cut a branch back (leaving foliage) and its likely to bud from the closest remaining internode ...if it's young enough. There's some nuance, but there's the 50k foot view.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I dont know pines well. I saw one that was maybe 1.6m tall and the space between its whorls was up to 50cm. Pinus sylvestris I believe.

But I think they can grow branches from all those goosebumps?

So internodes are not a concern on Pines?
That doesn’t sound like a good prospect to me.

Pines generally back bud at nodes. There are lots of dormant buds there. It’s “possible” for pines to back bud in between nodes, but it’s rare. There is a bud at the base of every needle fascicle. These are very weak, and as the twig ages, it’s less and less likely to pop.

It’s far better to choose stock with lots of short internodes. A tree with lots of internode is far more likely to back bud at those internodes than one without.

Choosing good starting material is one of the keys to success making bonsai.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Adair M @Leo in N E Illinois
My plan now is to get young pinus rigida (maybe even try seedling cuttings) and pinch the candles a lot for the first few years to get tight internodes, wire the trunkline, get the nebari on its way and Im sure you can imagine the rest knowing rigidas backbudding ability

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M @Leo in N E Illinois
My plan now is to get young pinus rigida (maybe even try seedling cuttings) and pinch the candles a lot for the first few years to get tight internodes, wire the trunkline, get the nebari on its way and Im sure you can imagine the rest knowing rigidas backbudding ability
Well... it depends upon how tall of a tree you want. Pinching back a very young tree will prevent it from growing, obviously. If you want a Shohin, that might work. To a degree.

Find and read Eric Shaffer’s excellent thread “a few pine seeds 6 years later” for some tips on starting pines.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it depends upon how tall of a tree you want
Pinching is only to get tight internodes to later grow sacrificial and primary branches from. A bit like growing satsuki whips. I guess Ill aim for 80cm final hight and see how it goes

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
and pinch the candles a lot for the first few years

This is throwing up a red flag for me, since you don't need to do this " a lot", but also, there is no "a lot", only what is possible.

If you wanna pinch a anything, pinch a propriately!

You barely even need short internodes on a 80cm tree!

Sorce

Top Bottom