Do species that display fall colors always display them when potted?

Omar

Yamadori
Reaction score
Bit of a stupid question as I'd imagine putting a tree in a pot wouldn't interfere with something like that but I'm certainly no botanist. I only ask because I just realized that over the last 2 seasons, my Zelkova has never displayed any fall colors. As the fall and winter approached, the leaves simply turned brown and fell off.

I'm really jealous of all the gorgeous fall colors that everyone posts here :l

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bit of a stupid question as I'd imagine putting a tree in a pot wouldn't interfere with something like that but I'm certainly no botanist. I only ask because I just realized that over the last 2 seasons, my Zelkova has never displayed any fall colors. As the fall and winter approached, the leaves simply turned brown and fell off.

I'm really jealous of all the gorgeous fall colors that everyone posts here :l

Temps and ferts and exposure and pruning and defoliation and.....

You May be able to search for good info...
Its here...

Sorce

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Short answer is "No"
Even yard trees do not always do fall colors, and never the same as last year.
Has a lot to do with the growing conditions and fall weather. In my neck of the woods trees often do not have great fall colors.

Omar

Yamadori
Reaction score
Short answer is "No"
Even yard trees do not always do fall colors, and never the same as last year.
Has a lot to do with the growing conditions and fall weather. In my neck of the woods trees often do not have great fall colors.

Damn it. Well there's always next year (maybe). Thanks James.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It may depend on the sun exposure the tree gets. I have a burning bush that I have been generally disappointed in the fall color so far. The problem I have is, due the orientation of my yard, the tree doesn't get all day full sun in the fall. Without full sun the leaves just kind of turn a reddish brown color. I have noticed this in landscape trees also. The leaves in full sun get a nice bright red color but the ones that are shaded do not. I'm not sure if this is true for zelkova but it could have an impact.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Trees that exhibit reds/oranges in fall do so because of anthocyanin which is produced in the leaves to shade the photosystems. In varieties that produce it, dryness and bright sun tend to enhance red colorations in fall. Further anthocyanin production can be triggered by putting the potted tree in shade for 4-6 weeks before putting it in full sun (one must toy with how much shade is 'shade' and how much sun is 'full sun' because sometimes leaves get sun scalded too).

This works well for most acer palmatum varieties (Orange Dream is a notable exception it just turns yellow and burns up) and superbly with acer circinatum. The effect with my zelkovas is ... meh - they tend to just yellow. It works on stewartia pseudocamellia and probably also monadelphia. Most azaleas will redden too, but it isn't at all interesting (just makes them look as they do in the dead of winter, but leafier).

Yellows arise because of xanthophylls which have a function of protecting the thylakoids from desctructive acidification by diverting photo-energy away from the photosynthetic 'machinery'. Similar shade adaption --> 'full sun' should intensify yellows, but it hasn't had much effect in my playing. It is worth noting, though, that extra xanthophylls is why the needles of alpine conifers yellow during the winter (Japanese white and lodgepole pines are notable examples).

Omar

Yamadori
Reaction score
That's very interesting thanks all, got my reading cut out for me this weekend.

Reactions: GGB
Top Bottom