Do superb, famed and "national treasure" level bonsai...

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Get all the potions and cures and systemic additives that most here use on their more modest trees?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You want to know if highly prized show trees are showered with fungicides and biocides as much as our garden plants?
No, I believe for those highly prized plants people do stick to the label.
Whereas home use.. Well.. What label was it again?! Tbs means tiny bucket scoop, right?

Non-professionals suck at identifying pests fungi and bacteria. So they use biocides like grenades in fish tanks. Professional tree care people tend use very specific means to combat very specific issues.

At least, that's my assumption. The arborists I know work like that, but none of them own bonsai.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Don't know/ don't care, but on my "modest backyard trees", I find that is necessary to use different types of "potions and cures and systemic additives" to maintain their health. It sweltering hot and humid here which makes it a breeding ground for all sorts of insects and fungus and without those potions, it would be impossible to keep them at bay.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rodale organic practices, apart from leafcutiing ants and grasshoppers,
no need for fungicides or pesticides,

Soil ingredients are very durable and so no need for dramatic repotting
techniques.

Trees here are naturally healthy.
Good Day
Anthony

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Mike Corazzi ,

as was explained to us years ago from both China and Japan.

Health is the more important value for a Bonsai/ Tree Penjing.

Preparing for an exhibition takes 3 to 5 years and if wiring especially
it can be very stressful for s tree.
Trees evolved with breaking branches and leaves being eaten.
But vines wrapping around a tree can kill it.

So what we were taught to do, was generalise the shape and only when
going for an exhibition push the Grow and Clip / guy wire to the extreme.

The masters of China especially, tend to appreciate the life spans of
healthy trees. So it is rare that you will find a shed of dead trees.

Push to the extreme and image as slides.
Then let the tree / shrub rest.
This is why we are looking into holograms, much as paintings are
hung in museums.
Good Day
Anthony

* there are two types of Masters -
[1] Is known quietly by other Masters
[2] Is known from winning an Exhibition

Because of our Chinese heritage, our cousins hooked us up with
number [1].

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The only thing I wondered but was apparently unclear in the asking was whether anyone knew if heritage trees got treatments.
For prevention of disease or pests.
Or lack of clarity in questions.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You want to know if highly prized show trees are showered with fungicides and biocides as much as our garden plants?
No, I believe for those highly prized plants people do stick to the label.
Whereas home use.. Well.. What label was it again?! Tbs means tiny bucket scoop, right?

Non-professionals suck at identifying pests fungi and bacteria. So they use biocides like grenades in fish tanks. Professional tree care people tend use very specific means to combat very specific issues.

At least, that's my assumption. The arborists I know work like that, but none of them own bonsai.
You know this how???

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The only thing I wondered but was apparently unclear in the asking was whether anyone knew if heritage trees got treatments.
For prevention of disease or pests.
Or lack of clarity in questions.
I guess that was a question? Oh you’re from California, that makes sense :p

There are a couple people who’ve worked on exhibits with these types of trees who post here.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You know this how???
Experience. Just have a look at what people are using on this forum and the amount of times this causes trouble because they did not read the label. Somehow we never see that with professionals.

I assume, that when you own a highly prized tree, you think twice before applications of potentially damaging materials.
I believe that people still use a lot, no matter the material. Amateurs just use a shit tonne more because they either don't know what they're combatting, or just don't know how to use the stuff.
But even at Monsanto sites I visited, they sprayed less than the average farmer does.

Test it yourself: bring an unlabeled bottle of plain water to a bonsai club and say it contains fungicide that doesn't damage trees or humans, spray one of your own trees. Before the end of the day you'll see people spraying their trees with it. Even though they all know better.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've heard stories from former Japanese apprentices that suggest the Japanese don't hold back on the chemicals (fungicides and pesticides). Whether they apply
them "as directed" I can't say. Not sure what the OP means by "potions and cures and systemic additives ", if he's referring to stuff like superthrive and neem oil...no
idea if they use that kind of stuff but pretty sure I've seen references to stuff like HB101 in various articles.

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Kaya, an apprentice with Boon at the time of the photo... I wonder what he was doing...:p
View attachment 227374

Haha. Yup. Spraying is a common practice on any large scale agricultural operation. With that many trees, I don’t see why you wouldn’t. Plus, most of us aren’t eating from our trees anyways.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the idea is 50 to 30 medium/large trees,
Mame' ?

Not really 3000 or so,

But then I would wonder how good the attendants were
at looking after their quota ?
Say 6 guys with 300 trees to tend to.
Good Day
Anthony

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think the idea is 50 to 30 medium/large trees,
Mame' ?

Not really 3000 or so,

But then I would wonder how good the attendants were
at looking after their quota ?
Say 6 guys with 300 trees to tend to.
Good Day
Anthony
When you break it down like that, it doesn’t seem like much. That’s easily enough man power to hand groom for insects and use low-impact fungicides like sulphur. Or even something like Bordeaux mixture as a preventative. But again, these are techniqually ornamentals. Expensive ones. So there’s a trade-off by potentially eliminating beneficial life for the sake of sterilizing the environment. If you can establish a healthy homeostatic environment year round I don’t see reason. Miracle grow is as far as I go but I don’t have many trees.

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Bonsai professionals may be on the road 200 days a year. They definitely benefit from things that save time and keep their trees safe.

Top Bottom