Do systemic fungicides harm black pine mycorrhizae?

syon_r

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was planning to treat one of my Japanese black pines with bonide infuse, (a systemic fungicide) to treat needle cast. I was also planning on using daconil and copper fungicide to treat it. I do not know if I should treat with bonide infuse, since it could harm mycorrhizae. Does anyone use systemic fungicides on Japanese black pine soil without it having negative effects? Should I apply it only once or twice each growing season to minimize mycorrhizal damage?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I was planning to treat one of my Japanese black pines with bonide infuse, (a systemic fungicide) to treat needle cast. I was also planning on using daconil and copper fungicide to treat it. I do not know if I should treat with bonide infuse, since it could harm mycorrhizae. Does anyone use systemic fungicides on Japanese black pine soil without it having negative effects? Should I apply it only once or twice each growing season to minimize mycorrhizal damage?
I've used granular clearys on my JBP and JRP and it probably does negatively impact soil fungi/beneficial mycorrhizae but I'm not really concerned. The daily watering and frequent feeding mitigates the need for mycorrhizae in my potted pines, imho.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use the bonide infuse fungicides, and have not had any issues using it on my Pines.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It matters little. Anything put on foliage will wind up in soil anyway with watering or rain;).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bro... you are 14!?

We lost our other youngin!

Stick with us bro!

You are our future!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Read a forestry study, Cleary's 3336 does not harm mycorrhiza in their trials. As to the others, I don't know. JBP are vigorous trees, the mycorrhiza relationship is not obligated. They can be grown well with out relying on mycorrhiza.

Welcome to the forum,

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
There are all kinds of systemics. Some move up, some move down, some move both ways and others just penetrate without moving much at all. Generally, systemic fungicides do reduce mycos when used as a soil drench. As a leaf spray they are probably much safer. The only way to know is to try it and observe the results.

Top Bottom