Do trees remind you of their native fauna?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
As I was staring at the grey muscled texture of my ficus last night, i had the idea of a reptile maybe Komodo dragon slithering across the forest floor. Especially in the aerial roots.

then at night (2am) i started thinking that trees kinda feel like animals in their environment. I can’t peg it but they just “feel” like that.

-a deciduous tree (ie maple) feels like a deer to me
- a pine like a bear
A bald cypress (especially the knees) like an alligator
-a spruce like an Elk
Not that they necessarily look like them, they just “smell” or have the spirit of them

Anyone? anyone?

maybe I’m crazy. Just wanted to share my (what i think is profound) probably stupid thought 😉 everything feels “brilliant” at 2am. Or maybe winter fever is already getting to me.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it.

The animal choice is like mine might be.

How about Juniper?

Sorce

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As I was staring at the grey muscled texture of my ficus last night, i had the idea of a reptile maybe Komodo dragon slithering across the forest floor. Especially in the aerial roots.

then at night (2am) i started thinking that trees kinda feel like animals in their environment. I can’t peg it but they just “feel” like that.

-a deciduous tree (ie maple) feels like a deer to me
- a pine like a bear
A bald cypress (especially the knees) like an alligator
-a spruce like an Elk
Not that they necessarily look like them, they just “smell” or have the spirit of them

Anyone? anyone?

maybe I’m crazy. Just wanted to share my (what i think is profound) probably stupid thought 😉 everything feels “brilliant” at 2am. Or maybe winter fever is already getting to me.

Sometimes its even more direct that just a reminder. I was on a hike yesterday and was looking at some beech tree nebari. The area I was in has steep valley walls with slate shooting out of the soil with a flat valley floor that is constantly wet.

The beech trees that grow right at the transition point between the slate steps and damp floor have these "foot-like" root protrusions where the bark wrinkles up between each "toe". I'll have to get a picture the next time I'm out in the woods but if you look just at the bottom three or four feet on some of the trees, they look exactly like a giant foot and ankle but with distinguishable toes).

This is just a picture from google, its a bit more drastic than what I'm describing and the bark isn't nearly as smooth (so it doesn't look as much like skin), but the idea is the same.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think you have all been smoking something. Or had too many mushrooms

haven't had enough mushrooms* ;)

In my defense, you should look at some of those beech pics, they are crazy due to the shallow depth.

Top Bottom