Do we entertain succulents here?

FinnLakk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8Ab
So the other day I was out on my round, delivering mail as all us officers of the post do and I came across this sad looking fellow in somebodies back garden when I was rooting around for their "safe place"
IMG-20211206-WA0000.jpeg
Now I'm in Scotland, and it's almost never a good idea to keep a jade outside here let alone in winter!
Every day I passed the House hoping to catch the owners and after a week I eventually did and he says "just take it! My new cats started eating it so it's got to go"

So I get it home and things get worse. It turned out that pot has no drainage, combined with being out in below freezing temps for at least a week it was not looking good. Two leaves out of the entire canopy survived the frost damage, it had 0 roots and is essentially the biggest cutting I've ever tried to root. IMG_20211219_100942.jpg
Entirety of rotting portions removed, supplemental lighting added, potted into free draining substrate and less than a week later:
IMG-20211214-WA0018.jpeg
This will never be world class but will make an interesting feature in my home when it's healthy again. To give you an idea of the scale the pot is 35cm across so the base of the tjade is around 6-7 inches

Note on the pot size: I'm aware the pot is too small. I chose this one with good reason; as it's on the recovery from a severe case of rot the smaller pot makes the water delivery much more manageable and it will not stay too wet whilst the plants in recovery.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like it.
I don’t know how to entertain succulents, but I might just put on some nice music and maybe have a wee dram while watching it recover. 😉
rescued plants have a story to go along with how you grow them out and shape the new growth now that you are caring for them. Enjoy

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Cool save! Looks like it's gonna make it!

But using metric and standard units in one sentence!
Unacceptable.

😆
You would think so
I work with a bunch of scientists and engineers.
I have to use standard units, imperial units, and yards / feet/ tenths of feet depending on which group I’m talking to.
sometimes everyone is in the room together.
Then my sentences are ridiculous, I have used cm, cubic yards, gallons per second, inches, cu meters per yard, miles and and acre feet all in the same paragraph. but the right people understand the appropriate portions so all is good. I tried for years to only use standard metric measurements, and when asked what they meant I always used my body, hoping they would adapt.
What’s 38cm? That’s the ground to the bottom of my kneecap, 10cm? That’s the ground to my lateral maleolus, 70cm? I don’t want to wade in that if the water is cold.
eventually I gave up and just use the language they want to hear. It’s silly, but hey sometimes it’s fun too.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice score for sure!!
What’s the trunk width on that?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You would think so
I work with a bunch of scientists and engineers.
I have to use standard units, imperial units, and yards / feet/ tenths of feet depending on which group I’m talking to.
sometimes everyone is in the room together.
Then my sentences are ridiculous, I have used cm, cubic yards, gallons per second, inches, cu meters per yard, miles and and acre feet all in the same paragraph. but the right people understand the appropriate portions so all is good. I tried for years to only use standard metric measurements, and when asked what they meant I always used my body, hoping they would adapt.

I've always been fond of furlongs per fortnight as a measure of velocity.

FinnLakk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8Ab
Cool save! Looks like it's gonna make it!

But using metric and standard units in one sentence!
Unacceptable.

😆
😂 I'm of the generation where we were all taught metric, my father and most of the people I work with were all taught in imperial. My life is a constant jumble of units. 🙃

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
that’s a beast. Good job saving it.
I had fun with the money when I lived over on that side of the pond.
my old neighbor didn’t like the “new” 100 pence to the pound thing, so I had to learn both systems and all the slang just to manage.

Top Bottom