Do White Spruce Backbud?!?!?

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
I've done searches on here and google searches but I can't seem to get a clear answer at all, if anyone could help answer my question that'd be awesome!

Do White Spruce, Picea glauca, Backbud?

I have two which are a dwarf cultivar, if that makes a difference. Cultivar is called 'Jean's Dilly' (yea terrible cultivar name I know, right? har har har.)

But if anyone could fill me in that'd be grrreat.

OR if there's any specific method to induce back budding if they don't like to do it themselves?

Newbie here!!!
-Mike

Last edited:

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've done searches on here and google searches but I can't seem to get a clear answer at all, if anyone could help answer my question that'd be awesome!

Do White Spruce, Picea glauca, Backbud?

I have two which are a dwarf cultivar, if that makes a difference. Cultivar is called 'Jean's Dilly' (yea terrible cultivar name I know, right? har har har.)

But if anyone could fill me in that'd be grrreat.

OR if there's any specific method to induce back budding if they don't like to do it themselves?

Newbie here!!!
-Mike

When the new shoots come out I pluck them in half. If I do it early, no buds will appear on the new growth. It will result in a lot of back budding. If I do it late, then I get some buds on the new years growth and less back budding. Some people pluck the terminal buds just as its coming out. I've had better luck plucking new growth.

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
When the new shoots come out I pluck them in half. If I do it early, no buds will appear on the new growth. It will result in a lot of back budding. If I do it late, then I get some buds on the new years growth and less back budding. Some people pluck the terminal buds just as its coming out. I've had better luck plucking new growth.

Thanks, that was very helpful. My problem is that on one of my little guys has very bushy beautiful numerous branches on it's front side of it's trunk (which I have already chosen to be the front perspective). But on the backside from the soil line to almost 3/4 of the way to the apex there are basically no branches.

So I would like to know: If I at the beginning of the next growing season, I pluck/prune the very apex (terminal bud) of the tree... Will this induce back budding down the trunk??? Or at least 2/3's of the way to the soil line, since that is all i really need.

I realize that this will sacrifice a year of vertical (and trunk) growth probably? but that's ok with me. But i've also read that pinching the terminal bud thickens existing branches... But that's definitely a topic for another thread though!

Cheers!
-Mike

Top Bottom