Do wounds heal over on yew, juniper and pine bonsai trees?

Igor. T. Ljubek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I can't find it anywhere: a thread about wound healing on conifers. I guess wounds don't heal over on most conifers? Is that a reason why I almost can't find a picture of a mature looking yew or juniper without jin and/or shari?
I dislike dead wood (jin and shari) in most cases. (I like holes on deciduous trees btw.) Sorry for my bad taste;) I would like to cut off some thicker branches on my European yew and Chinese juniper (blaauw) but i am not sure if wounds will heal over? I am talking about small wounds, something like 2 - 3 cm (1 inch up to 1.5 inches).
I am also interested about healing larger wounds on these two species. I can let the tree to grow freely for 4 or 5 years, if that would help healing the wounds: more foliage, faster healing, right? At least that method works on deciduous trees.
In nature i can see that wounds (even larger wounds up to 3 inches) can completely heal over on older conifer trees that we have in our garden: Taxus baccata, cedrus deodara and thuja occidentalis smaragd.

Any experience with wound healing on conifers bonsai? I am especially interested about jew, juniper, Scot's pine and Japanese white pine.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
When treated well, and cut at the right time, wounds can heal on conifers. Depending on the size of course.
You can also graft new skin on a wound like I tried (and failed) but @bonhe has been successful at it.
Not sure if it would work on a juniper or yew, but pines can handle a skin graft.

More foliage = more growth = faster healing. That is correct.

The reason why you're having trouble finding those examples is mainly because deadwood features are something typical for old conifers. So most people want wounds to be shown. 'It's a feature, not a bug' kind of thing.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Conifer wound do heal but it takes time and plenty of growth depending on the size of the wound.
I have plenty of pines and some junipers that have been pruned and healed over.
It all depends on the size of the cut, how much growth the tree will make afterward and how long you are willing to wait.

Top Bottom