Do yew propagate taxus?

Ohioisonfire

Sapling
Reaction score
If so, I have questions!

There are several yew of some sort growing around my apartment that have been brutalized by snow falling off the roof. Or at the least the large quantities of snow that collect on top.

Maybe I'm wrong but they all have really cool twisty branches that are thick and I believe would make decent material. If nothing else it's free and good to learn on.

Just wondering what the possibilities are for propagating yew. Air layering?

I have searched around but the little info I have found has not been consistent .

I cannot collect any of them and the bases are not great anyway.

The branches (trunks?) in question range from 1.5-3.5" roughly.

(Sorry about the title, (not really))

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi Ohio,
From my propagating knowledge YEWS root quite readily from semi- hardwood and/or hardwood ( winter) cuttings. There's a you-tube video on the propagation of Yews and it was discovered they root better without bottom heat but with hormone.

So to answer your question regarding air-layers- Yes probably. If you can get cuttings off a tree to root then usually air-layers work. Same principle.
Charles.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've seen examples of wrist-thick branches that were successfully air-layered.

I did one myself, but on a much smaller tree. I don't have pictures of the process, and the photos are not recent (1 - 2 years) but that's the air-layer, and the bottom part of the tree:

taxus06b_150720a.jpg

taxus06a_160607b.jpg

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am about 2 weeks into an experiment for me and yew. I attempted two air layers on my Taxus Bacatta tree (one about 1-1 1/2 inch thick and another 1/2 inch thick). In another 2 weeks or so, I will check on the root development. I will let yew know how it goes.

Reaction score
Yew air layers well in the wild here. Branches pressed against the ground / moss will form roots. Two growing seasons are needed for sufficient roots though imho. :)

Top Bottom