Do you have a Bonsai related wish list for Christmas or otherwise?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My wife asked for some Christmas gift ideas for me this year. It puts me on the spot, because I don't want much....but after a bit of thought and some online window shopping, I gave her a list of links to Iker pots that I would love to own for future use.
Normally I use her willingness to gift me stuff as an opportunity to get more lava and pumice from Bonsai Jack....but I didn't want to hear, "You really want bags of dirt for Christmas???", again....

Iker has some really cool pieces out there at very reasonable prices.

How bout you? Anything cool on your list this year?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top of my list is my wife's continued patience. Next is that I make a reasonable effort to improve what I have and the energy and health to see it through.
I know ........ it sounds more like a New Years resolution, but I don't celebrate Christmas.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A full set of Japanese tools would be nice for sure. Just got my first pair of Kaneshin root pruners and a root rake (I frequently repot root bound trees) and I'm in awe

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
An architecturally appealing cold frame / cold green house
Kaneshin Bonsai tools
A successful winter storage with no losses
A house with a descent backyard to finally design a garden and cold/green house.
Nao , Iker ,Miller , maybe some Japanese pots- ( I wonder if you have your eye on the same Iker pot I was looking at)
Steelers to completely tank rest of season to draft a new QB that won’t flop

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bonsai books are a good gift idea that will make people feel like they are giving you something nice/meaningful. There are of course 1000 crap "bonsai for beginners" books that aren't going to mean much to you, but there are some classics (don't forget books from shows, if you like inspiration/eye candy) that you can put on a list for someone.

Pretty much any of the books from Stone Lantern are decent, IMO: https://stonelantern.com/collections/books

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai related art is fun way for everyone in the house to be happy. Here’s a few artists who do work that I like.

most of this girls prints are of just trees but she also did a collaboration with one of @Eric Schrader bonsai. Not sure if that one is still available or not.

just found this girls work recently and I really like her aesthetic.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don’t really have much on my own list at the moment. Maybe just one large pot or slab that would be suitable for starting a forest planting, as that happens to be something that I haven’t done yet. Anyway, here are some ideas for those who are trying to build a list:
Stone Lantern’s 2022 bonsai calendar (I already picked one up and can confirm that it’s inspirational)
Branch jack
Annealed copper wire
Kokufu book
Instructional video subscription (Mirai, Bonsai Empire)
A proper bonsai turntable (for those who typically exchange big ticket gifts)
Green light to put a yakisugi fence in the back yard (for those lucky enough to have a spouse that is as into bonsai as you are)

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Big airlayer efforts for me next spring...
Won't mi d a set of these on standby

I got shallow 6" trainers and so.e mum shallow 10" so this will be a nice in between or slightly sturdier option than the cheap shallows I just mentioned

No more tall narrow nursery pots is the goal

I got 35 4.5" terracotta shallows recently

Shits addicting

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

I got shallow 6" trainers and so.e mum shallow 10" so this will be a nice in between or slightly sturdier option than the cheap shallows I just mentioned

Shits addicting
I bought those a couple of years ago, super handy. Built in plastic mesh-like drain holes and very sturdy.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Shits addicting
Those look pretty nice, yeah. I like em. I'll gift them to myself. Haha

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So has anyone bent their rootslayer? Does it actually have a warranty worthwhile and how did you approach that?

regarding use, is an amazing tool

Top Bottom