Do you have a least favorite species that you still own

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So many ask...what's your favorite tree.

What about least favorite? What are the challenges you face that tend to throw it into that category?

For me...once was the Goji berry. I couldn't get that thing to back bud to save my life. Then...I went and stuck it's pot it was in...in an even wider pot of akadama. [I had it residing in a smaller pot of akadama last year.] Bingo! Happy tree! I also was told to cut it back in late winter. But to get back budding we need to do that while it is actively growing. So I pruned it and it rewarded me this spring with the first time ever back budding.
From this...
FB_IMG_1625141582602.jpg

FB_IMG_1625141667221.jpg

To finally this. It no longer dries out with the akadama pot under it. It has done so well this year. I think it slipped out of the detested spot I glared at. FB_IMG_1625141723905.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That would have to be a barberry. Nasty spines that have cause permanent swelling in my thumbjoint. Yet last year I succumbed to great bark and age and bought one again. Worked it once. Considering selling. Horrible species.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That would have to be a barberry. Nasty spines that have cause permanent swelling in my thumbjoint. Yet last year I succumbed to great bark and age and bought one again. Worked it once. Considering selling. Horrible species.
Permanent swelling...dang!

I'm such a bark geek. That...I can see the draw.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a contorted hazel ‘red dragon’ from nursery stock…every time I think it is finally getting healthy it kills off all the branches and plays possum for about 3 months until it decides to send out another shoot. But I just can’t bring myself to toss it in the compost pile…damn thing… 😂

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a contorted hazel ‘red dragon’ from nursery stock…every time I think it is finally getting healthy it kills off all the branches and plays possum for about 3 months until it decides to send out another shoot. But I just can’t bring myself to toss it in the compost pile…damn thing… 😂
Wonder if the cultivar variety has a lot to do with it. Because many have the Harry Lauder green leaf without that headache. I've the green leaf in my landscape. Early spring you can still see the structure of it. Cascade clump...
FB_IMG_1626787200128.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Fukien Tea is pretty high on my shitlist. I lost the mother plant this winter in the greenhouse, but a scrawny chance seedling that I found last fall is still alive. I'm not sure whether I should set it on fire, or...

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got seeds from South Africa last time I visited home, among them was marula seeds.
Life dealt me a hand that enables me to only have shohin sized trees because of available space and I move frequently. Marula isn’t quite suitable because of the giant compound leaves. But I’ll hang on to it because it’s a little piece of home

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i tend to get rid of trees fairly quickly that dont fit into my plans so that i can put utmost care into the keepers, i did a bit of hoarding in the first few years in the hobby though:)
often trees would go in the ground and i might find that i like them better later on.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
i tend to get rid of trees fairly quickly that dont fit into my plans so that i can put utmost care into the keepers, i did a bit of hoarding in the first few years in the hobby though:)
often trees would go in the ground and i might find that i like them better later on.
Well, early on I've added a few to landscape. My collection is rather modest at 33 trees. I think pure stubbornness won over...as to the exposed root was all the reason I held onto it. I had two Goji...and did give the other away. No sense keeping two you hate. 🙃 I just would hate one would turn this into something...and I didn't have the patience to hold out for that day...is why I kept mine. I'm way more selective in my purchases. Actually has a sizeable amount of greenbacks for my 50th...and didn't have any desire to even look for another tree. Bought yard pretties instead. A weathervane and rain chain. With money to spare. Oh and a backdrop. Could have went to a tree...but...honestly...I'm pretty content to just take my trees further.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fukien Tea is pretty high on my shitlist. I lost the mother plant this winter in the greenhouse, but a scrawny chance seedling that I found last fall is still alive. I'm not sure whether I should set it on fire, or...
Oh geesh...that sucks on the loss of the mother tree. Sorry to hear that. A tree that I never had an inkling to add. For fear I pronounced it wrong. 🙃

D

Deleted member 32750

My least favorite tree that I own is my first bonsai tree that I owned - A Chinese elm S curve Mallsai.

It's not necessarily my least favorite just because it's a mallsai, but more so because it seems like no matter how much I nuke it with fungicides it continues to get black spot after every little drizzle of rain.

I think the species is too susceptible to black spot for it to be an enjoyable species for me to work with.

I've decided for me going forward in my bonsai journey I want to focus primarily on various Pine and Maple species with a few other species sprinkled in the mix, like Stewartia. I've been obsessing over Stewartia lately!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
A Ginseng ficus my brother gave me. I cut off the tubes and buried it. It is doing fine and has some aerial roots, but I'm never going to like it. I have to keep it around though, he asks to see it every Christmas.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A Ginseng ficus my brother gave me. I cut off the tubes and buried it. It is doing fine and has some aerial roots, but I'm never going to like it. I have to keep it around though, he asks to see it every Christmas.
Adam did an amazing job with one potting it into a crescent pot. Did you see that one? It was within the last month if not mistaken. In case others would like to see it. I went ahead and shared.

This shanty may make you like it more. Lol

Screenshot_20210720-113838_Facebook.jpgFB_IMG_1626795475291.jpgFB_IMG_1626795480315.jpgFB_IMG_1626795484328.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My least favorite tree that I own is my first bonsai tree that I owned - A Chinese elm S curve Mallsai.

It's not necessarily my least favorite just because it's a mallsai, but more so because it seems like no matter how much I nuke it with fungicides it continues to get black spot after every little drizzle of rain.

I think the species is too susceptible to black spot for it to be an enjoyable species for me to work with.

I've decided for me going forward in my bonsai journey I want to focus primarily on various Pine and Maple species with a few other species sprinkled in the mix, like Stewartia. I've been obsessing over Stewartia lately!
Peculiar...what is the environment and soil it is in? I've a dwarf Chinese elm...a Caitlin Elm and no issues at all. I actually try not to have multiple of one species. Yet the elm, I have the most of. An exposed root Caitlin Elm as I mentioned...a Drake elm as well...and a winged elm ROR. None of them do I battle black spot. And living lake front...I battle it in my landscape certain times of the year.

D

Deleted member 32750

Peculiar...what is the environment and soil it is in? I've a dwarf Chinese elm...a Caitlin Elm and no issues at all. I actually try not to have multiple of one species. Yet the elm, I have the most of. An exposed root Caitlin Elm as I mentioned...a Drake elm as well...and a winged elm ROR. None of them do I battle black spot. And living lake front...I battle it in my landscape certain times of the year.
It’s in APL mix. I think it’s a combination of rain and the humidity here in my area of NC. No matter how much I spray there is always some degree of black spot and if I don’t spray it’s incredibly bad.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Least favourite - Celtis. Chinese celtis - I think I've had 4 or 5 even and all they do, from the day you get them, is slowly die. I now have the cuttings of the last one. They are ALSO slowly dying.

Top Bottom