Do you have any thoughts pro/con as to a turntable?

sbarnhardt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I want to buy a turntable, but I really don't want to buy one blind and then regret it later. So, before I make the jump, I wanted to see if any of you had any thoughts/recommendations pro, or con, about a good one. I'm not looking for a "BMW" here, a good "Ford" or "Chevy" will do just fine. Would like to get something waterproof, if I can. Somebody I know has been known to leave things outside, if you know what I mean??

Thanks

Barney in NC

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use an old barstool that I got at a yard sale for $5.00. Works great. Figure if it can hold me it is more than sufficient to hold any tree I have or will ever have.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use a large plastic lazy susan when working on a table...
And I have a modified chair that has a pneumatic height adjustment. Took the seat off, and put on a wood top. No reason to spend a lot of money on one of those fancy ones.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I've had my Masakuni turntable for about 25 years and its great. That said, I wouldn't spend The $500 they go for now. It was about $80 when I bought it. The only things I would require in a turntable are 1. a locking mechanism so It doesn't turn when I'm wiring or carving. and 2.
Strength to hold my 100 lb. plus trees.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
I truly believe you. I just can't afford one at the moment. I think once i get to where i'm doing heavy wiring I'll invest in one. I can imagine the irritation of a freespining table when wiring. That being said i'm a bit of a mcgiver and i think i can fanagle these to work for me.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have bought many of these and attached to 15 inch stool chair tops that are at my Home Depot for $5:00. I then paint the wooden tops with weatherproof paint. I have rotated 300 lb trees with them. Best cheapest idea I have found.
http://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Bear...7-7184429?ie=UTF8&refRID=1QMS8FY3HZ4Q0Y0GC5AQ

That is the type bearing I used on mine. ;) but smaller at 750 lb capacity.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045DYHLQ/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_3

I then top it with a round plastic chopping board from an Asian store.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
BTW, I second the bar stool idea. I purchased a metal one from Goodwill for $7.00 (IIRC). It is revolving already and all I had to do was remove 3 screws for the metal back support. :cool:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You probably don't want to get one that has a slick surface finish like that marble finish lazy susan. Look for something that has a rubberized surface, better grip. Someone had a thread here about building their own, and fashioned a brake for it, I'll see if I can find it and link it. I don't do a lot of carving, so I don't miss having a brake terribly, but I would use it if I had it.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
For those of you who built your own. Please explain how you constructed a brake. Thanks..

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For those of you who built your own. Please explain how you constructed a brake. Thanks..

I use a super high tech, indestructible, weather proof, polymer material that will last me a lifetime. A chopped old rubber slipper used as a wedge. Works really well. :p

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I built a small turntable using a lazy susan mechanism from Lowes and 2 round pieces of wood (also from Lowes). It doesn't get very heavy use but so far has served my needs. It doesn't have a brake and that is annoying, but hasn't been annoying enough (yet) for me to do something about it.

At a club meeting a year or two ago, someone brought in a home made turntable that was built from a stool. It looked pretty good and I might eventually build something like it. The plans can be found here (scroll down to "Create a bonsai turntable")

https://sites.google.com/site/cnybonsai/articles

Last edited:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never needed a brake. I only use turn tables when rotating the big ones for light or for pruning and wiring. Carving would be the only reason I would think of that a brake would come in handy. I figure it would take longer to adjust the brake than just turn the tree manually or actually work around it. I also always work on trees standing up so that may be the difference. I don't understand why it would make wiring easier as I hold the branch while wiring so where is the need for a brake?

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My cheap plastic one won at auction for just a few bucks has notches around the underside of the circumference, and a stationery sliding pin that gets pushed in when you want the "brake" on. Works very well, and is useful to keep the tree still when doing detail work as mentioned before.
I just got one of these to hopefully make one for larger trees. Otherwise I need to put a couple of 24" 2x4s on top of my 12" one to hold larger pots.

http://www.amazon.com/Shepherd-Hard..._indust_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=067M3E497BZZJYERC8EX

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was drunk and made one last year. It looks a bit gnarly, but I love tinkering in the garage. I plan to make a larger (and much nicer) one next Spring.

http://imgur.com/a/8Tnzc

Top Bottom