Do you need this kit?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder if any body here is using this kit called Rapidtest Mini 4 in 1 test (you can google it and see). It is used to test: light, pH, moisture, and fertility (N,P,K). Bonhe

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No. This is mostly unnecessary and will provide completely inaccurate readings.

The moisture meter, in particular, is potentially a lethal tool for bonsai. I've heard repeatedly from seasoned bonsai folks and seen first hand that this kind of tool is bad thing to rely on. Here's how I understand it basically--moisture meters "read" soil moisture levels by measuring faint electrical current that traverse soil particles. The more moisture between the particles, the stronger the signal.

The problem is that bonsai soil has extremely wide gaps between particles--alot wider than the potting soil these meters are meant to measure. The particle gaps in bonsai soil mean that the electrical current isn't as strong, which leads to the meter consistently measuring "dry," which means the bonsaiist will be constantly watering to make up for the perceived problem, which means the soil will stay constantly wet, which means root death...

As for the other bells and whistles, (fertility?), pH, and light...I doubt they're much needed either. I've started doing bonsai almost 18 years ago. I bought a few of these things. I used them maybe twice...Learn proper lighting, fertlization, watering and use a good bonsai soil and measuring this stuff becomes superfluous.

Top Bottom