Do you pot or train first?

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
When you buy a potential tree do you re-pot first or leave it in the container and trim and wire it before going to a pot. Myself I move it to a pot to see if it will actually make the change and be healthy in a new pot and then a year later style it. Dave in Colorado:)

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Then you may be the one with patience, if I buy a tree now, well past pot up time, I'd still start working out some things. You can poke a bit to see what you are dealing with below to get a basic idea of what the roots are like.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Unless the tree needs to be re-potted due to health reasons (rootbound, poor soil, etc), I'll typically start the training process before re-potting. Establishing the beginnings of an achievable image and maintaining vigor and health are paramount at this stage, which will be affected by re-potting into a smaller container. Once the tree reaches a certain level of refinement, I'll move it to it's first bonsai pot, but not the final one. That comes later, when the tree is more fully developed.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I'm one of those who likes a fairly level nebari: I think it looks more stable, well-established. So before I do anything serious, I figure out what the final planting angle will be. Sometimes I can do that by digging down into the soil, sometimes it has to wait until I can repot the tree.

Top Bottom