Do you use humidity Trays?

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I am just starting to put my trees into ceramic pots. Prior to this I had plastic pots with tryas. I watered the plants on the table. Now with the new pots I either have to buy new trays or take them to the sink on by one.

What do some of you do to water inside Bonsai plants?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have all (mostly) on a plastic tray to catch the water as I spray it out of a 2 liter coke bottle with a bunch of holes drilled thru the cap. This sits on a table in front of a largish basement window with a 2 lamp florescent fixture over the top.

Humidity trays don't actually keep the humidity up around the trees much at all. Maybe a few percent up from really dry. A humidifier would work much better.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Humidity trays are a scam dreamed up by mallsai seller to double the price of pots. They do NOTHING to raise humidity. They are also pretty useless in catching drainage from the pot. If you want to raise humidity around your plant, the most effective way is to raise the humidity of the entire room it's in.

FWIW, immerision watering is not a really good way to water trees. It tends to keep them too soggy. Top watering is the best.

I used to put my indoor ficus in the shower and turn lukewarm water on it from the showerhead. Did this only occasionally, mostly watered it with a can from the top (also in a sink or shower--with a screen over the sink/shower drain hole to prevent clogged drains).

All of this is why I gave up on "indoor" bonsai. They're waaay too much hassle for me.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Rockm, Humidity trays are useless. Humidifier in the room that the tree/s are kept in works best. I have a Brazilian rain tree, that likes to have some of its older leaves turn yellow and drop when inside during winter when the humidity was too low. I use to place in at one end the bath tub close the curtain and the bathroom door and turn the water on hot on the other side of the tub and let it get all steamy in there for a few minutes and then turn the water off and just let it sit there for a while. Worked great, just be sure there's no splash back from the hot water that hits the tree o you could have one seriously dead tree on your hands. Your best bet is to use a humidifier now which is mainly what i do.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Correct me if I'm wrong, but remist isn't speaking of trays to create humidity, just to catch the water draining...

I have a plastic tub that I take to the plants, water them in the tub, then set them aside in another tub to drain. When they're done draining, I put them back in their spots, and if that is on a wood table, I have a piece of sandstone that sits under them just in case they drain anymore. Or I'll take them to the sink one by one, I only have 4 indoor trees.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I agree with Rockm, Humidity trays are useless. Humidifier in the room that the tree/s are kept in works best. I have a Brazilian rain tree, that likes to have some of its older leaves turn yellow and drop when inside during winter when the humidity was too low. I use to place in at one end the bath tub close the curtain and the bathroom door and turn the water on hot on the other side of the tub and let it get all steamy in there for a few minutes and then turn the water off and just let it sit there for a while. Worked great, just be sure there's no splash back from the hot water that hits the tree o you could have one seriously dead tree on your hands. Your best bet is to use a humidifier now which is mainly what i do.

Please tell me more about your Brazilian Rain tree. I have one that is not doing well this winter and am quite concerned it won't make it through the winter. Thanks

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Please tell me more about your Brazilian Rain tree. I have one that is not doing well this winter and am quite concerned it won't make it through the winter. Thanks
Ron, start a thread about your tree...you will most likely get more advice and help that way then by tagging your question here, at the end of this thread. Good luck.

Dave

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Sure thing But I Would need to know more info on its location and care, as well as any specific questions. Your Best be would be to open a new thread for this question under the tropical Forum. You can also do a advanced search and see what comes up in past threads involving this tree.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I really was just interested in catching water that comes out. I found some metal food pans. The ones you can bake in. They are about 2" tall and $1 for three. I will use these to catch the water.

Thanks

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are just referring to water catchers there is a wide range of items that can be used. If you have a large bonsai or multiple ones you would want a large dish for, it might be a good idea to find a retailer that sells restaurant supplies and buy a large serving tray.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or just put the tree in the bathtub and let it drain for ten minutes. No real need for special trays or other equipment. If your mate or whoever's paying the rent/mortgage complains, tell them leaving the plant in the tub is a lot less messy than overflowing drainage trays, wet counters and tabletops...

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or just put the tree in the bathtub and let it drain for ten minutes. No real need for special trays or other equipment. If your mate or whoever's paying the rent/mortgage complains, tell them leaving the plant in the tub is a lot less messy than overflowing drainage trays, wet counters and tabletops...

I agree I gave up on actual humidity trays the first winter into the hobby with my tropicals. Its a lot easier to bring as many as will fit in the sink or if you have a large one the bath tub.

Top Bottom