Do your trees "dress left" or "dress right?"

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
;)

For some reason.... I assume because I generally read left to right..... that I tend to place the trees to the left side of the pot. ?????

But many don't cooperate and look better on the right side. I tellya, the problems I got! :cool::D

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends on what I have decided for that day is the front ??
Are you military?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It depends on your composition, but in most cases the placement of the tree is based on centering the design in the pot. You choose a front, and then (usually) center the apex over the pot. The nebari is to the left or right depending on the design. In the case of a formal upright, the nebari and apex are usually both centered.

As is the case with almost everything bonsai, there are exceptions. Just make sure you know WHY you are making an exception... versus making an exception because you don't know what you are doing :)

As displayed - intentional use of negative space on the left to create energy and drama to the composition.
thin.jpg

Also correct. Apex centered, nebari to the right of center. Balanced composition that is peaceful.
thin2.jpg

Notable exceptions are going to be compositions that are supposed to be energetic or off-balance... like slant or wind-blown. Traditional cascades were potted so that the tip of the descending branch was directly beneath the center of the pot. Now, it is not such a hard rule.

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It depends on your composition, but in most cases the placement of the tree is based on centering the design in the pot. You choose a front, and then (usually) center the apex over the pot. The nebari is to the left or right depending on the design. In the case of a formal upright, the nebari and apex are usually both centered.

As is the case with almost everything bonsai, there are exceptions. Just make sure you know WHY you are making an exception... versus making an exception because you don't know what you are doing :)

View attachment 230547

That tree was in the National Exhibition in 2012 in a round pot. Just love the tree, one of my favorites. Not sure which pot I prefer.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just make sure you know WHY you are making an exception... versus making an exception because you don't know what you are doing

But that is my biggest talent; finding all the ways NOT to do Bonsai. Remember "everyone has value, even if only as a bad example."

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That tree was in the National Exhibition in 2012 in a round pot. Just love the tree, one of my favorites. Not sure which pot I prefer.

I keep a file of other trees that I find inspirational. This is one of those trees.

And it should probably be pointed out... because the apex is to the left of the nebari, the composition is leaning left. It would not be correct to create a composition like the one in the first image with this tree on the left side of the pot - the energy would be flowing left away from the center. This is also an important consideration when setting up a display - this tree would be on the right side of the display so that it leans towards the center of the display space.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
SMH! According to your definition I can see where my post may have created some confusion. All of my dress left/right comes from my 8 years in the Army. I am a simple, off the rack man so I had no idea "dressing left or right" meant which side my penis resided in my pants. You will have to forgive my ignorance.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Placement in the pot is very important.

There are a number of “rules of thumb” to go by:

Round (or square, or hexagonal), the tree should be planted in the middle of the pot.

Ovals or rectangles, the tree should be planted slightly off center when viewed from the front. When viewed from the side, the trunk should be planted on the centerline. Not towards the rear.

At one time, the “rule of thumb” was to plant the tree towards the back of the pot, not on the centerline. And, the rule was to pot farther off to one side or the other, not “just off center”. The “rule” has been changed in recent years. Why? For the health of the tree.

A centered tree is more likely to have an even distribution of roots all around, and not have a one sided root system. Potting close to an edge of a pot can (will) suppress the root system, and can adversely affect the health of the tree.

On a tree like Bonsai Nut’s tall conifer, it’s ok to plant it very off center for a show, but it shouldn’t be kept like that permanently.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
SMH! According to your definition I can see where my post may have created some confusion. All of my dress left/right comes from my 8 years in the Army. I am a simple, off the rack man so I had no idea "dressing left or right" meant which side my penis resided in my pants. You will have to forgive my ignorance.

LOL, that was the first thing that came to mind.
A lot of younger guys have never heard that.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Placement in the pot is very important.

There are a number of “rules of thumb” to go by:

Round (or square, or hexagonal), the tree should be planted in the middle of the pot.

Ovals or rectangles, the tree should be planted slightly off center when viewed from the front. When viewed from the side, the trunk should be planted on the centerline. Not towards the rear.

At one time, the “rule of thumb” was to plant the tree towards the back of the pot, not on the centerline. And, the rule was to pot farther off to one side or the other, not “just off center”. The “rule” has been changed in recent years. Why? For the health of the tree.

A centered tree is more likely to have an even distribution of roots all around, and not have a one sided root system. Potting close to an edge of a pot can (will) suppress the root system, and can adversely affect the health of the tree.

On a tree like Bonsai Nut’s tall conifer, it’s ok to plant it very off center for a show, but it shouldn’t be kept like that permanently.
It is usually a courtesy to let everyone know who the "Rule of thumb" is. ie, You, Boon, Japan, The best book you ever read. Who made that decision. It matters.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It is usually a courtesy to let everyone know who the "Rule of thumb" is. ie, You, Boon, Japan, The best book you ever read. Who made that decision. It matters.
Oh, I see.

It wasn’t until I found a John Naka drawing showing that trees should have a forward lean that you finally stopped posting nonsense on that topic.

So, now you want me to annotate every remark I make? Really???

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I pot them where they look right to me or as close to right as the root system will allow. I'm sure I'm doing it wrong because I have no clue what the rules are....I just haven't learned them yet and even when I do I'll still pot them where they belong according to my eye. Don't get me wrong the more I look at trees from the likes of Walter Pall the more my taste change and what once looked right may no longer look right anymore.

Brian

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, I see.

It wasn’t until I found a John Naka drawing showing that trees should have a forward lean that you finally stopped posting nonsense on that topic.

Actually I havn't seen the Naka drawing, not that I put much stock in Naka as an artist in my opinion. I'm just curious where you dredge up all these FACTS from. Like this one. Who made you the superior authority on how anyone should place their tree in a pot. I say that cause if it's just more Boon speak keep it. If it's Adairs opinion, then say its your opinion on the matter and leave it at that. But, thats not how your post reads. "It shouldn't be kept like that, in your opinion". If you said that I wouldn't say a word. But when you make it like your the high and mighty authority on every fricken thing bonsai, put me on ignore cause I'm gonna call out every opinion you make till you annotate it. fair?

This is how it should read; "On a tree like Bonsai Nut’s tall conifer, it’s ok to plant it very off center for a show, but in my opinion, it shouldn’t be kept like that permanently."

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, I see.

I havn't stopped your just dilusional. Whats the point. I just know when to stop. Seems you don't. You do it your way and I'll do it mine. I've earned 2500.00 dollars at shows with my trees, even over Peter Tea and Boon. I must be doing something right. I've had my trees critiqued by Walter Pall, Shinji Suzuki, Kobayashi, Kimura and Kenji Miyata and have never heard that hog wash in my 35 years of doing bonsai. So in my opinion if you think it looks good do it. I think it looks silly, so I'll keep my apexes in the same place they have always been.

BTW give me the post no. of your drawing, I want to see it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I havn't stopped your just dilusional. Whats the point. I just know when to stop. Seems you don't. You do it your way and I'll do it mine. I've earned 2500.00 dollars at shows with my trees, even over Peter Tea and Boon. I must be doing something right. I've had my trees critiqued by Walter Pall, Shinji Suzuki, Kobayashi, Kimura and Kenji Miyata and have never heard that hog wash in my 35 years of doing bonsai. So in my opinion if you think it looks good do it. I think it looks silly, so I'll keep my apexes in the same place they have always been.

BTW give me the post no. of your drawing, I want to see it.
For someone who posts pictures of themselves wearing thongs with their backside hanging out, you take yourself WAY too seriously.

Top Bottom